So now we have freshly hatched

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
ghost shrimp.

On Saturday I moved our males and females (3 of each) from their FW 14g into a 5.5 hoping to get some babies.

It worked!

I came home from work yesterday and saw these tiny lil shrimp floating in the water.

So my question is, what the heck to feed them?

From research, they are too small to eat most things, but might be able to eat the hikari first bites (which I have left over from the firemouth fry)

Any other ideas?

Did your ghost shrimp breed in fresh water? Everything I've seen says they need brackish water to breed.

Did your ghost shrimp breed in fresh water? Everything I've seen says they need brackish water to breed.

I'm curious about this too. I know you have some BW tanks. Wonder if the 5.5 was Bw?

Egg yolk is what you feed larval brine shrimp. I assume the same thing.

Raising and Growing Large Brine Shrimp here's a recipe for brineshrimp food. Although I don't think you need to add so many ingredients, you're not gutloading them to feed your fish (I don't think).

I think some mushed hardboiled egg yolk with some first bites and flake mashed in will work.

Yeah I saw that article too. The only problem is the liquid fry food. No place out here sells it so I'd have to order online. By time it gets here I could lose what is now 3 batches that have hatched.

BigJim and meegosh,

Nope, this is a FW tank. This was a male/female betta tank but the female died and the male got moved to another tank. I had read the same thing about them needing salt to breed but it seems that's not the case. The ones in our BW always have eggs, but we never see fry, I'm sure they get eaten fast.

Back
Top Bottom