Spawning?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ms. Maui

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Um I got 2 convict parrot cichlid hybrids 1 month ago. Yin and Yang. Well they've been best buds since they came here and now I'm pretty sure they're about to liter my tank with babies. I never have dealt with this before. They're in a 50 gallon with 2 blood red parrots (one is claimed as a panda parrot but absolutely no difference from blood red parrot). Anyway, Yang is not moving from the back right corner. Not even to feed. She (or he) is completely healthy. Swimming fine, nothing appears to wrong. Her mate Yin is attacking anybody who comes near her. which is VERY bizzare. They've established themselves, even the tank boss leaves them alone. They're wonderful fish, they always swim all around the tank together and never are hostile to anyone in there. Are they going to have babies?! I know the babies will be eaten this time (sadly) so looks like tank #7 will be on the way soon ACK

Recently read they do not often have offspring because the males are usually infertile. Just try and have breeding behavior, but no babies.

Recently read they do not often have offspring because the males are usually infertile. Just try and have breeding behavior, but no babies.
That was when they were new.. nowadays these guys as well as Red Parrots/Blood Parrots whatever as as fertile as any fish from what I see.

Hi guys!! The eggs hatched. They were on the glass one hour gone the next. I cleaned the tank and everything was back to normal. My Yin and Yang were back to happy campers. All for one week!! THEY JUST SPAWNED AGAIN!!!!! ACK!!! I NEED HELP!!! I have 3 angel fish on the way I can't put them in this tank with these 2 jack rabbits spawnimg every week. The male is all of 1.5" but he can kill a shark to protect his girl I'm sure. Is there a way to stop them from spawning? I am unwilling to seperate them. They love eachother so much. I think I am going to have to buy these 2 love birds their own tank *sigh*

I know.. I'm curious as to what happened to her spawn. I have some frost blue parrots breeding right now. View attachment 313378
Omg so cute [emoji7][emoji7] is that your male? He/she looks like my male. My male is bigger than my female (which seemed to happen the night she laid her first eggs, I woke up and he seemed to double in size over night lol) and my male has a white tail and female black. And male has a nose like this (more of slope, hard to explain) I love LOVE these breed of fish. They are so great to watch. He defends her to the death. She's always swimming around all over (when not spawning) and he follows her protecting her even when he doesn't need to.

Even if this were true I do not like it. They have full on spawning behaivor. Hiding (protecting their nest area) highly aggressive, laying eggs, switching off to eat, staring at the eggs until they hatch ( female fish ). This turns my beautiful peaceful fish into devilish nightmares I rarely see for 1 week. And this is a VERY common occurance apparentky cause they laid eggs again LOL. First time it was 20 eggs give or take a few this time it looks double that. They're all over the mopani wood. [emoji15]

I've decided to rehome one of my Kirin parrots (Muncher) he is only about 2" highly aggressive. I have a buddy who has been keeping blood parrots for 20+ years as well amd he's going to pick up Muncher on Monday and then I'm moving Yin and Yang into Munchers old house which is a 20 gallon. The angels will do well in the 50 gallon with the 2 blood parrots. They're not aggressive at all. The tank boss was but he's in his own house now and everyone is much happier. :) Yin and Yang will be more calm in the 20g alone. [emoji16]

So this morning I was able to move Yin and Yang into the 20 gallon and successfully relocated, hopefully, all of their eggs. The two love birds are now in a home all to themselves. I swaped them out just in time too! The eggs are hatching! Both mom and dad are picking up the fry as they hatch and moving them to the other side of the wood. It's so neat to watch! Right now they're just little vibrating tiny itty bitty balls just vibrating lol. I was given a bag of brine shrimp flakes I'm assuming was used for fry. It came with a tank I purchased a few weeks back. I put a sponge on the filter. Going to google fry tonight and see what I can do or not do to help. I think I did the best thing already though and that was giving them their own space [emoji173]20190714_151201.jpg20190714_151206.jpg

Back
Top Bottom