Spontaneous generation? Baby fish in new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a mystery on my hands! I have about 15 very tiny baby fish--without any parents in there! I set up a new, planted 20 gallon on the 29th and 30th of April. I put in Eco Complete, seeded the tank with an old filter pad, bought plants at two different stores, rinsed all new plants in dechlorinated water before planting them. I also moved a piece of mopani with a beautiful clump of java moss on it from my 10 gallon that contains 3 pristella tetras, 5 glolight tetras and three pygmy cory cats. So here I am 9 days later and today I see all these tiny babies--some clinging to the glass, others swimming at the surface. Any ideas? I wanted the plants to grow for at least a month before adding any fish so there are no adults in there.

The ones at the surface look a bit bigger, they have glowing eyes and a glowing dot in the abdomen--zebra glowfish? But if so, where did they come from? The ones clinging to the glass are tinier and dark overall.

Any ideas?

More than likely eggs from fish in your current tank. Pristellas or Pygmy cories I'd guess. The eggs transferred to the new tank in the java moss on the mopani.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom