Stripping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enviraMENTAL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I guess that got your attention. In this context, however, I am wondering if anyone can tell me about stripping eggs from a fish, mouth-brooding cichlids in particular? I have no clue how someone would do this without the female just swallowing the eggs she is protecting.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the eggs would have to be stripped BEFORE they are laid, fertilized, and put into mouth.

I remember watching TV as a kid and seeing people squeeze eggs out of one fish and sperm out of another. I am assuming that this is called "stripping." I hope I didn't miss the boat on your question.

I am confused. By stripping do you mean taking away previously laid eggs or getting at the eggs the female has not yet layed??

The only way to strip a fish of her babies is to wait for the eggs to hatch. the fish will not give up her eggs. at least not without a huge fight. once they are hatched, you can flush the babies out into a seperate tank.

oh forgot the way to flush the babies out. get a syringe, or turkey baster and fill it with the tank water. get the fish in a net, and hold the fish in one hand, with the other, gently open the mouth. Get a friend to gently squirt the water though the gill slit , point the fish down while doing this. make sure that the pressure isn't high. it takes practice, but it is easier to sperate the fish in another tank, and wait until the fish leave the mothers mouth by themselves, plus it is better for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom