Substrate for Guppy Fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtlipton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have finally gotten pretty successful with guppy breeding!(Well, IMO) I have recently had a drop of around 30 fry but I was only able to save seven. My zebra danios had gotten to them pretty quickly. ( My danios are huge fatties. I only have 2.) So I put the seven in my breeder net and guess what I named the seven of them? Sleepy, Sneezey, Dopey, Doc, Happy, Bashful, and Grumpy! Well anyways I had started thinking about how that net is getting pretty crowded so I had the idea of setting up a guppy fry tank. I am going to set it up when I get back from my summer vacation but I am going ahead and making plans for it. I already have the tank filter and heater picked out.( I was thinking of a 5 gallon but if you guys have other ideas let me know.) The only thing I was stuck on was a substrate. What would you guys say is a good substrate for a fry tank? I saw this pure fine white sand that I fell in love with so I would like to know if it would work. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

No substrate would work. At least you would see what needs to be siphoned up during water changes.
Sand would work; the dirt should stay on top (and not be trapped underneath).

Sand would help because it will provide some bio filtration.

My fry tank has no substrate. Much easier to clean because you'll have to feed fry more often than adults.

+1 on no substrate. Some gravel makes me nervous for fry, sometimes I used to catch them almost burrowing themselves underneath the stones to get to food, and consequently get stuck with trying to get out. Yikes!

I always do bare-bottom's for fry tanks. Fry need much cleaner water than adults (though adults still need it too) and having bare-bottom is so much easier to take care of. You can still get decorations for them to hide in/around and just weight them down with some old gravel or something, I usually just use driftwood, java moss, and a ton of floating plants like anarchis and cabomba to help with water quality too.

Your second best option, IMO, is sand. It probably gives you the look you want, while still being pretty easy to clean since theres no large crevices for waste to fall into.

I leave em in the net. 20-30 per net. When they get bigger 3 weeks or so I pick up the net and put them in a bare bottom ten with a spoonge to grow them out. Then the next batch goes into the nets that hang on my 40. Fry really do well when raised in the exact water they were born into. Everytime I move them at birth they pintail on me. Its how the fish farms do it. And I take nice healthy big gups @3months to lfs for trade for more prime and brine shrimp

Back
Top Bottom