Suitable fry conditions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering if a thoroughly cycled tank is needed for fry? I currently have riverfish and crawfish in my extra tank, probably going to free them soon, and was wondering if I should start it going now incase the gourami in my other tank spawn? Or does it matter?

Also, if I do notice eggs in the bubble nest, or fry swimming around, is it safe to move them with a net?

Put an extra small filter in your 29 gal tank and keep it runing at all times. If the Gouramis spawn, then remove the filter form the 29 and put it on the QT (15gal). Add water from the 29 and it's an instant cycle. I recommend to add water from the 29 because then you won't have to acclimate the fry into the 15. All of the parameters will be the same. If you do it this way, you will always have a cycled filter ready in case you have fry.

You can safely net out the fry and put them in the QT. One thing that you could do, is when you see that the female is pregnant, net her out and put her into the QT. That way you don't have to net out the fry.

Yup, much easier to have the fish spawn in the QT tank then pop out the parent(s). You can net out the fry, but most of the time the little buggers are hard to get into the net. They kinda stick to the glass making it hard to scoop them for fear of making a fishy smear. Also with a lot of small fry you can try the turkey baster method for catching them.

These are egg layers so you can't remove Mom until Dad has fertilized the eggs. If you think two of them are ready, you could move them both into the 10 gallon tank. Lower the water level a little and throw in some floating plants. Should be a nice love nest for the two of them. :D

Agreed...and if there is one thing that fry really need, that is excellent water conditions...poor water leads to high mortality and/or slow growth.

Time to PICK ALL OF YOUR BRAINS ONCE AGAIN!!!

First, is this filter too big?

img_477497_0_07ff942d10359d8228bb6bab4557ac91.jpg

I'm guessing the main concern is the fry getting sucked in, in which case perhaps I could take an aquaclear filter sponge and fit one over the intake? Only the one sponge in there atm, I took out the carbon filter bag and the other bag, can't remember what the second was for, at the advice of a friend of mine. Would it be good to include the two bags if there are fry, improve the water conditions I'm sure.

The thing that makes me hesitate about moving my dwarf gourami is that two of the males have already built bubblenests, have had the nests for about two or three days 'before' I bought the females actually. They had started to let the bubblenests deteriorate but then I introduced the females and they have started maintaining them again. They've found pretty perfect spots in my anubias barteri. I was hoping to see the eggs in the bubblenest and perhaps move the whole thing before they hatched if this is even possible? Not sure if I'd be able to see them(eggs) and how delicate the bubblenest is.

Also (sorry for all the questions at once lol) how big must the female gourami be before they are sexually mature? I've read that female are smaller than males, and mine are currently just over half the size. Oh, and will the females be visibly ready to spawn?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!! You folks at Aqua-advice are so freakin AWESOME.

Back
Top Bottom