Suki's Birthing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Suki's next in the birthing order. She seems to be the one who gives me the least trouble, has pregnancies faithfully every month and doesn't hold them long... Took a look at her this evening and I've attached pics :)
The little platy is her buddy... He's fallen in love with her and follows her around constantly. I've never seen her without him in tow... I'm assuming because he's the only male (anything) in the tank and the creamsicle looks the closest to him... Anyway, it's very sweet :)

View attachment 65057

View attachment 65058

View attachment 65061

This ones looking good! Hope she pops today lol get that stress outta the way. Are you breeding Platy/Molly hybrids? Or are the mollies being fertilized in a different tank?

Big-j said:
This ones looking good! Hope she pops today lol get that stress outta the way. Are you breeding Platy/Molly hybrids? Or are the mollies being fertilized in a different tank?

The Platy is one of my originals when I knew nothing about fish keeping and pointed saying, "those look cool, I'll take 2 of those and 3 of those and...."
The Mollies were bred a few months ago by my male who's in QT... the Creamsicle was put in with last month tho and they chased her big ol self around and finally she started holding still briefly for them....

The platy told Santa he wants a girlfriend for Christmas ... We shall name her TRIXIE!! ;-)

Big-j said:
Lol ight, can platys and mollies interbreed? I didn't think they could

I've researched it... Some say no because it's square peg, round hole.... But some claim to have bred them themselves...
As for me in a tank of 4 female mollies and 1 male platy, he's never tried to breed with any of them, but he's taken a liking to Suki probably because she looks closest to him and it attracts him... Perhaps the confused little guy doesn't know why! Lol

Suki is a bit more square today... Quieter and hanging out by the heater... Hoping for my little orange specks soon! :)

How did Suki's birth go?

I am so excited, today I got my first two Mollies! A male and a female.

Last edited:
redsea said:
How did Suki's birth go?

I am so excited, today I got my first two Mollies! A male and a Female.

She's still preggo... Hanging out at the heater this last week... Who knows.. The luck I've had knowing WHEN lately has been blown away. LOL

Congrats on your mollies... What colors?

She's still preggo... Hanging out at the heater this last week... Who knows.. The luck I've had knowing WHEN lately has been blown away. LOL

Congrats on your mollies... What colors?

Thanks!

The male is a dark orange with some gold spots and the female is silver and has a lyretail. :)

Can you guess what kind of Molly they are? They weren't labeled specifically at the LFS. :thanks:

redsea said:
Thanks!

The male is a dark orange with some gold spots and the female is silver and has a lyretail. :)

Can you guess what kind of Molly they are? They weren't labeled specifically at the LFS. :thanks:

Sounds like the male is a Sunset Molly and female is a silver lyretail.

Here's a pic if my girl.. One of my favorites..

View attachment 67859

Sounds like the male is a Sunset Molly and female is a silver lyretail.

Here's a pic if my girl.. One of my favorites..

View attachment 67859

Yep, she looks exactly like my female Molly.

Has she ever given birth? At first I became worried about mine because I heard that males will have trouble fully growing their fins without enough swimming room. I should set up another tank for babies, right? Or is there another option?

Thanks for answering my questions, I think that you are the molly expert, lol.

How did Suki's birth go?

I am so excited, today I got my first two Mollies! A male and a female.

Congratulations! Mollies are my favorite fish, black mollies specifically.
You will probably find you need one more female so the male doesn't chase her around the tank constantly. One more would divide his attention between the two. Male mollies are very persistent at getting what they want :brows:

Sisserydoo said:
Congratulations! Mollies are my favorite fish, black mollies specifically.
You will probably find you need one more female so the male doesn't chase her around the tank constantly. One more would divide his attention between the two. Male mollies are very persistent at getting what they want :brows:

Oh my yes they are! I have 5f : 1m right now... I recommend a minimum of 3 females per male. My male is crazy persistent about mating.... I posted last night my alpha female Cruella finally put him in line last night... Everyone seems peaceful this morning. :)
Your male Molly will really literally pester your female to death... Get another female or two..
What size tank are they in? What are their tankmates?

redsea said:
Yep, she looks exactly like my female Molly.

Has she ever given birth? At first I became worried about mine because I heard that males will have trouble fully growing their fins without enough swimming room. I should set up another tank for babies, right? Or is there another option?

Thanks for answering my questions, I think that you are the molly expert, lol.

My silver girl, Charger, has had a batch I missed completely and then from the next one i was able to save 15. Out of my lyretail girls I usually only get a few lyretail babies out of them... At this point Chargers babies are 8 wks old and I haven't seen a Lyretail yet. Suki's other two batches both have a few lyretails in them.
As far as another tank, I have a 10g for newborns. They stay there till 6-8 wks and then get moved to my 20g L until they go to the LFS or a new home around 3-4 mths.
Some people use breeder boxes or nets for fry but with my experience the fry are swimming/darting around the entire tank within 12 hrs and swim all over after that.. I don't want to put them in a closet when they could have a huge house.. :)
I haven't heard anything about the fins and swimming room. I can imagine though that fry in a 10g would grow at a faster rate than those in a breeder box.

No, thank you for asking me questions... I'm grateful to be able to give back my own experiences..
You become an expert with research and personal experience. :)

Ponch said:
Eaten?

Oh no

About 2 months too late on the comment above. Oh well, that's ,my fault for searching and forgetting these threads are not all current day!

Back
Top Bottom