sumbu any one?(need help on breeding them)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocean3474

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello my name is jason, well I've got altolamprologus sumbu, it is a shell dwelling species, well I've got one male to 3 females and i cant get them to breed.... i know they have before. some one help cause they were not cheep, about $10 each(i know its not much but still)

I think they will need more information about your tank (size, environment, water conditions, other fish) before anyone can even guess why they aren't breeding.

Sorry, I've bin busy but their in a 20 long medium planted, no real. white sand, they have their shells. sadly i know its bad but i dont check water quality but i change the water weekly and feed them most flake but some freeze dried. do they like caves or not, and their on an iron stand but on the bottom, dose it matter because i could never get my labitos to breed on the bottom but on the top they went crazy.

What's the pH, gh and Kh? Tang's require hard, alkaline water, pH 8.0 should be good. If the pH is too low, they won't spawn. The general and carbonate hardness levels determine the buffering capacity/stability of the water chemistry.
How long have you had them?

maybe you should go out and buy a ph liquid test kid along with ammoniia, nitrate and nitrite?and Gh/Kh test also
someone please correct me if im wrong.
now that i learned about AA and learned stuff i could never go without my test kit.
it was quite expensive and most test i dont use very often but it was well worth it.

The AP master FW kit is dirt cheap if you print out the page from petsmart.com and then go into the store. That saves you over $15.

Cichlids are FW.

Most of why certain fish breed is based on water conditions and environment. If you can't test what they are then it's difficult to know what needs to be done to put you in "the right band". Almost like driving with your eyes closed, but not knowing what direction you started in.

Confused about what? Everything you said was spot on.

If you buy the AP test kit without getting the "price match plus" or getting it online it is VERY expensive, at least in my book. $30 is a lot to spend on some drops and some pieces of paper with colors on them. Now getting it for $14 is much more reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom