Sunny is stressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have a very pregnant yellow guppy whose last brood dropped on August 16th. She was in the community tank with 1 daughter, 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, 2 blue ram cichlids, and bunches of snails. She got very squared off on September 18, and I was sure she was in labor. After three days without dropping, I figured she must be too stressed out with the rams licking their lips at the upcoming snacks. I moved her and her daughter from that tank to the 10 gallon, knowing that it would be stressful and possibly cause her to miscarry or abort, but that it would be better for her to be free of their presence. She rounded out again, but I could still see little eyeballs. This morning she looks square again.

I want to make her as comfortable as possible. What can I do?

10 gallon tank
Temperature 80°F
heavily planted
ammonia not quite .25ppm but not 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 30
pH 8 (no idea why)
Aqueon QuietFlow 10

Update: she's dropping, but not fry. She let out a few small yellow balls in one spurt then ate them pretty much right away. She seems very uncomfortable, and it looks like something might be stuck in her vent.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not as angular, but definitely still pregnant.

She comes over to me whenever I am near the tank. I wish I could help her get through this more easily!

Attachments

• 1475106507262.jpg
    1475106507262.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 82
Eating is her all time favorite activity, followed closely by pooping. She's still huge. Still boxy.

I know pregnancy is different between fish and mammals, but I can't help but thinking about those last couple of weeks of my pregnancy and how I wanted that child out of my body.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Some times they give birth to only a few babies. I have had one give birth to a few wait a few days and give birth to some more.

Best thing to feed lightly but a little more frequently.

Make sure the water quality is perfect. Try feeding some green foods to aid in digestion. Or you can cook some green peas, fresh or frozen and feed the inside part the mushy center not the outer shell, will help get her pooping and she might feel better too.

With a homeschool 5 year-old, frequent small feedings are very easy. We've been doing cucumber and shelled peas.

I've also been watching water quality closely, and parameters are much better than the initial post.

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 5
pH 7.6
Temperature 78° F

I'm out of the nitrites test and the store I've been going to doesn't carry them. If my ammonia is 0 and my nitrates low, should I worry?

Although our filter insert apparently lasts less than a week. I would blame the sunlight, but this tank has five snails and two small fish and gets less light than the larger tank with more fish and fewer snails. That water is almost always crystal clear, so, although the filter doesn't have the blinking light, I know it's doing its job.

Sunny seems very happy. Good color, great appetite, appropriate activity. She's getting hunched, but the fry are taking up more of her body than she is.

Attachments

• 1475587384166.jpg
    1475587384166.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 74
I can see the eggs. It feels like I shouldn't be able to. Are they not fertilized?

Attachments

• 1475981050405.jpg
    1475981050405.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 62
  • 1475981065087.jpg
    1475981065087.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 66
Last night Sunny was doing this thing that looked like she was taking a deep breath and then practically folded herself in half. Nothing happened. Sometimes she would suddenly flit about, and others she would shake like she does when getting rid of a big poop, but nothing came out. I would really love to know how to help her!

Not much you can do. Just keep water conditions optimal and hope for the best

++ on the water conditions.

Feed her some cooked peas - the inside mushy parts. It might help her clean out her system. You can squeeze a drop of garlic juice on the bits of peas, sometimes they really like that and it is good for her immune system/health.

Because her body is light you can see the developing fry inside. Guppies have live babies. Eventually you can see little eyes before birth.

Is Sunny in a breeder box? If so she needs to be out swimming if at all possible to keep her strong.

She's in a 10 gallon with one other female, the runt from her last brood, and snails. She loves peas and she poops like a champ.

She dropped fry on August 16, and she's been in this set-up since September 22. We moved her from the community tank after she looked completely boxy for 5 days and then got round again but not smaller. The tank had been cycled and was previously holding male four guppies (also her offspring), who are now in with the community, getting prettier every day.

I don't know. I just feel like I should put on some soothing music or something. Give her a foot massage. Run errands so she can relax.

Great news on her eating and pooping, lol, she looks good.

She might have popped out a couple fry and ate them - sometimes young moms don't produce a bunch of fry. Maybe you will just need to wait for the next time she turns square. If she isn't squared she won't be popping out any more for awhile.

Sunny is very lovely looking, hope you get some nice babies in the future.

Her babies from the last brood are gorgeous. We only have four males and one female. The other 13 females went to the LFS because I hadn't planned well enough. We're ready for them now, though.

The sire was deep blue and spotted, so they all have blue-black and red, orange, or yellow. I keep trying to get pictures, especially of the one my daughter named Bluey, but they have no interest in modeling. The dwarf gourami, on the other hand, loves the camera.

1476767956287.jpg1476768002732.jpg

They're even prettier now.

You might not know this, but some dogs can get hair in amazingly bizarre places.

So Sunny was swimming around with a dog hair hanging out of her mouth. I netted her, which she DID NOT appreciate, and pulled it out. She's been hiding behind the heater since then, hopefully out of fright and not pain.

Lol the same thing has happened to me. If your tank isn't covered then get a lid. It will keep all undesired debris out

Back
Top Bottom