Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Suprise!

So... I have 3 zebra danios. I noticed 2 had larger bellies when I got them but I'm new to fish really so didn't think much of it. I did a 50% water change tonight and after replacing the water noticed a fry floating about... Then another and another and so on. So I checked the sink where I dumped the old water and sure enough little fry everywhere.
This got me thinking... I know there are still fry in there but my filter probably has sucked a few up, so do I need to change my filter b/c of the dead fry in there or what should I do? Poor lil fry

Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarmalar
So... I have 3 zebra danios. I noticed 2 had larger bellies when I got them but I'm new to fish really so didn't think much of it. I did a 50% water change tonight and after replacing the water noticed a fry floating about... Then another and another and so on. So I checked the sink where I dumped the old water and sure enough little fry everywhere.
This got me thinking... I know there are still fry in there but my filter probably has sucked a few up, so do I need to change my filter b/c of the dead fry in there or what should I do? Poor lil fry
Congrats on the fry!
If your worried about your filter get the media and rinse it in a bucket of tank water (you should be doing this for regular maintenance anyway). Do not replace your filter media because you will be throwing away your BB. You can get a piece of sponge or some new nylon stocking and place it over the filter intake to stop the fry being sucked up.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks , I got a nylon over the filter intake and rinsed the filter. Now I feel better. I have no idea how many lil ones are in there. I assume my ZD will eat the fry but id rather they get eaten then trapped in a filter or down the drain
I've got plenty of tiny hiding spots in there so hopefully a few will make it.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah nice though! and even if they don't you will have new ones fairly soon(1-2 months or whenever)............and you can add more floating plants so there is a better chance of survival!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com