Surprise, surprise they are alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jredmartin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About a week ago I put some of my zebra danios into a nursery tank hoping that they would breed/lay eggs. After about a day and half I noticed that the females were no longer as large as before I put them in the tank. Assuming that they had laid the eggs I took them out of the tank and put them back into the community tank. And let the nursery tank sit without the light on after reading that bright lights would hurt the eggs. The day afterward I checked the nursery tank and noticed that it had many small worms.

I got online and checked them out and discovered that they were some kind of nematode worm. The article I found said that they would feed on fresh laid fish eggs and would kill everything out. I figured that I had just lost all the zebra daino eggs and decided to go ahead and clean out the tank the next free day I have off of work. Well about a week has past and so I was planning to clean out the tank after church services this morning. So before church I went to the aquarium and turned on the light to see how bad the worm infestation was. Then Surprise, Surprise!!! I discovered that although their are a few worms in the tank still there were also over a hundred of little Zebra Danios swimming around in the tank.

I wish I knew where the worms came from so I could prevent them from coming back.

Because I thought that I had lost all the eggs I didn't get any fry food from the pet store when I went to the city last time. Now what do I do???

Since I'm guessing that it's been about 3 or four days since they hatched I figure that their yolk sack from hatching has been pretty much used up and so I had better feed them. I seem to remember someone once say something about egg yolk for their fry one time.

Dose anyone have any suggestions? Will the fry eat on the nematode worms that are already in the tank? right now the fry are about the same size as the nematodes. But, if so this should help get rid of the nematodes without having to sterilize the tank and then recycle everything all over again.

Cool! thanks for the advice. Flake food I have and now to get to powderizing it. saves money too.

Congratulations!

Infusoria is a cheap, nutritous fry food made easy. Place a banana peel in aquarium water (keep a lid on it). As it decays, microscopic organisms, or infusoria, feeds on the detritus. The infusoria makes nutritous fry food, but this process takes a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom