Swordtail birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marvin4o9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so here's the deal, my swordtail gave birth to like 10 fry yesterday morning, I had put her in the breeder box around 4am and I had taken the top off of the box and she jumped out around 6am and was swimming around normally and didn't seem like she was gonna drop the fry anytime soon, but around 8am I saw what looked like a piece of rice fall to the substrate and thought it was just poo until I saw it swim to the surface and around the gravel, I quickly put the momma sword in the breeder box and tried to get the one fry. Well I thought that was the only one till I saw several others come out of hiding and I was able to catch 7 out of maybe 10 that she dropped? My question is, she still has what seems like a lot of fry left inside waiting to be born, do swordtails usually drop all their fry at once or can they give birth to some and take another day or two to drop the rest? I didn't leave her in the breeder box as to not stress her out. Instead I put her and the other fry in a small 5 gallon tank with sand and a lot of fake decor. The fry I put in the breeder box to keep safe while the momma is in the tank with them. She hasn't dropped anymore in 24 hours. Anybody know how long it might take for her to drop the rest? Thanks in advance!!!

Here is the momma

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425822481.274498.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425822515.660345.jpg

Didn't get a picture of her turned the other way, but when she did turn you can see the eyes of the fry that are waiting

And here are the 7 little fry

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425822602.634753.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425822618.586372.jpg

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Oooh adorableness!!!

What cuties :D In my mom's experience, swordtails can be in labour for more than 4 days. FOUR DAYS!! We've had a time when our swordtail gave birth to only three babies on one day but still had 14 more that didn't get released until two days after. IN THE TANK! Lol, that was fun.
Anyways, I think you should wait around to see if she'll let go of any more but in the meantime, try not to check up on her too much. This'll not only stress her out but you too ;) Good luck!
Mind checking out my recent post? Thank you :)))

When my Swordtails bred, they had a total of 12 fry. I often found that only 8 of them survived. My platys were always in the mood and often had a batch every few 3 or 4 months, never knew how long she was actually in labour though; she was quite chunky, as though she was always carrying.

Well I just woke up like 30 minutes ago and checked well, I found lots of little fry swimming around!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425854787.663077.jpg

I caught all of them and from what I can see, three are dead and were prob picked at by the mom? Half eaten bodies. Well here are the fry in the breeding box till I see the momma isn't dropping anymore

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425854860.683813.jpg

The one day old ones are already looking healthy and swimming around, gonna try to get a picture of them

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425854929.257248.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425854977.194639.jpg

Awww so cute! I have 9 guppy fry right now. Their mother and father were both beautiful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Awww so cute! I have 9 guppy fry right now. Their mother and father were both beautiful.

Pictures!! Right now I got one male and a couple of females (like 8) that I want him to breed with, two are sail fin platies!

By the looks of it, no more babies, means she gets to go back with her family

Who are all waiting for her

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425855561.615993.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425855612.188122.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425855630.989311.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425855645.606379.jpg

Male is already trying to breed with her again lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425855671.292326.jpg

Oooh adorableness!!!

What cuties :D In my mom's experience, swordtails can be in labour for more than 4 days. FOUR DAYS!! We've had a time when our swordtail gave birth to only three babies on one day but still had 14 more that didn't get released until two days after. IN THE TANK! Lol, that was fun.
Anyways, I think you should wait around to see if she'll let go of any more but in the meantime, try not to check up on her too much. This'll not only stress her out but you too ;) Good luck!
Mind checking out my recent post? Thank you :)))

Thanks for the reply! Well all it took was one more day lol, she's done now c:

When my Swordtails bred, they had a total of 12 fry. I often found that only 8 of them survived. My platys were always in the mood and often had a batch every few 3 or 4 months, never knew how long she was actually in labour though; she was quite chunky, as though she was always carrying.

Yeah I thought she was only gonna have around 10 since it was her first birth, and you really couldn't see a lot of eyes and she wasn't huge huge, but looks like she had around 20-30 lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425856646.493076.jpg
They're in a 10g so it's hard to get pics but there are I think 3 in the picture.

Yeah I thought she was only gonna have around 10 since it was her first birth, and you really couldn't see a lot of eyes and she wasn't huge huge, but looks like she had around 20-30 lol

Well maybe next time will have 50-60 fry! Fish have too many babies...

6 now lol

Well maybe next time will have 50-60 fry! Fish have too many babies...

Yeah lol after I get the hang of it and get more tanks some 10-20s I'll try to breed specific ones in hope of getting some nice colored and maybe some sail fin with lyre tails

I see 5 I think lol got pictures of the parents?

Here's the mother
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425857170.566556.jpg
She died from a fungal infection.
And here's the father
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425857135.858175.jpg
He also died but I don't know what from.
As you can see I really want to keep some of the fry because I the parents are so pretty.
Also another pic of one of the fry
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425857255.007904.jpg

Here's the mother
View attachment 266783
She died from a fungal infection.
And here's the father
View attachment 266782
He also died but I don't know what from.
As you can see I really want to keep some of the fry because I the parents are so pretty.
Also another pic of one of the fry
View attachment 266784

Oooooh nice black with white dots, I wouldnt mind some of those lol, and well atleast she gave you some presents before she died :x

Well maybe if the weather gets better I could try to give you some fry. I'll have too many I only want like 3 or 4 females

That would be great! Hmmmmmm just gotta get more tanks, or maybe I might put them in with my swords

Well maybe if the weather gets better I could try to give you some fry. I'll have too many I only want like 3 or 4 females

Hopefully my friend sales me the tanks he got at his house that the previous owner left

Okay time to update my little post with some fry pictures c:

I kept them in the breeder box to get them use to eating fish flakes until the brine shrimp eggs get here on Friday,

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426032472.753491.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426032538.675731.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426032595.896588.jpg

Now they are freely swimming in the small tank c:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426032888.819331.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426032910.221237.jpg

Back
Top Bottom