Swordtail giving birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I brought a pregnant swordtail not even 10 hours ago and she's giving birth :) she's in a floating breeder box with the lights off, how long do they drop fry for?

I brought a pregnant swordtail not even 10 hours ago and she's giving birth :) she's in a floating breeder box with the lights off, how long do they drop fry for?

It varies a lot. My pregnant mollies took about an hour and a half but in some cases it can take up to a week releasing babies daily
My advice would be to turn the light on as I kept mine on during her giving birth as its important to see the fry quickly as the mother will eat her children
Keep a close eye over the next few days

I only had two and they died. I didn't see the fry fast enough and I guess they must of had the best part of eight babies

It varies a lot. My pregnant mollies took about an hour and a half but in some cases it can take up to a week releasing babies daily
My advice would be to turn the light on as I kept mine on during her giving birth as its important to see the fry quickly as the mother will eat her children
Keep a close eye over the next few days

I only had two and they died. I didn't see the fry fast enough and I guess they must of had the best part of eight babies

I have her in a breeding box with hiding places in the bottom, it's 1 of those 2 compartment boxes. Was thinking about just leaving her in over night so he can really get them all out, she's still massive with a black gravid spot

It's hard to predict how many if u post a pic I suppose I could take a guess but I doubt it will be right how big she is might determine how long it will take abouts

What's the longest it could take? I don't want to turn the tank lights on cause I don't want to stress her out more

What's the longest it could take? I don't want to turn the tank lights on cause I don't want to stress her out more

If she is new to giving birth the average is two days! But is she has gone through it before for swordtails it will probably be around 2-6 hours

That's cool, I think she has been through a few cause she's a big big momma!! Can and do they poo during dropping fry?

Possibly. I tried to look it up but didn't find anything. They do poop an awful lot before as they eat a lot when they're pregnant and maybe they can go giving birth?! They go when there nervous and stressed so I guess so.

Apparently I saw something where a guppy went whilst giving birth and the poor fry died!

Well she has a poo string hanging out and it's longer than her body but its not that thick... I can't believe I'm saying these things lol

No new fry for about an hour, but she is still massive with a very dark gravid spot

I'm not sure how many as I've put fake weeds in the bottom compartment but I'd say 3-5... I've seen 3. She just had another 1 10 mins ago so she's still going, just taking her time about it lol, I'd live eighty to bring up so the more the better

Back
Top Bottom