Swordtail going to pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Its been awhile since I've had live bearers... I have three pineapple swordtails (2f, 1m). Both of my females are pregnant, and I have had them about three weeks now. Its hard to get a good look at either of them because all three LOVE hanging out in the "wisteria forest".

The smaller of the two def. looks bigger, and she is starting to show the little white ring where her anus is, and I've heard thats a good indicator that they are going to give birth.

What do you guys think? You can see how square she is, and you can sort of see the little white spot where her anus is.

img_1843359_0_34623b8659d42beae290d70c8d35e862.jpg

I think your swordtail is pregnant and if you look closely, you might see little eyes inside your swordtail!

I know she is pregnant... Im trying to figure out when shes going to give birth. I already see eyes and have for the past week.

Oh, sorry! haha It is really hard to tell when a fish is about to give birth. If you have males in the tank the males will follow the fish around and bump the females and this is pretty close for them to give birth.

Livebears tend to square off right before giving birth. I have yet to see it in my fish. But I do know that they will move up and down, pant during birth.
She's very pretty what kind of sword?

Thank you... She is a pineapple swordtail. The male is even prettier!

Shes definitely more square then she was... I guess Ill just have to keep an eye on her. Its not like the fry dont have plenty of places to hide.

Talvari said:
Thank you... She is a pineapple swordtail. The male is even prettier!

Shes definitely more square then she was... I guess Ill just have to keep an eye on her. Its not like the fry dont have plenty of places to hide.

Nice, I have noticed with my guppies and platy fry is that they hang out at the bottom of the tank for a couple of days, only swimming when they need to. After that, they are all over the place. :)
Are you going to let them go free in the tank or are you going to scoop them up and put them in a different tank?

I want to try and save at least one batch. Then I'll probably just let them go in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom