swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndtyank49

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my male swordtails-their tales are changing color? and my female swordtails are getting shiny on their underbelly? does this mean they are breeding? I have no clue.

ndtyank49 said:
So my male swordtails-their tales are changing color? and my female swordtails are getting shiny on their underbelly? does this mean they are breeding? I have no clue.

Not an expert on this as I was away when I had mine breeding but someone will be along shortly to help you out I have no doubt congratulations if they are!!!!

I have swordtails and let me assure you, if they aren't breeding now, then just give them a few minutes. They will breed , and breed, and breed. I have one male green, two female greens and a orangeish female. I have about 20 little ones. Gonna be looking for a hone for them when they get a little bigger. They are in a 55 gallon.

They are a little like guppies, like most livebearers rhey have live young, and as for brood size they can have anywere from 20-40 fry in a batch.... Good luck

tomoisawatergod said:
So are swordtails as easy as guppys?? Roughly how many fry do they give birth to???

Pretty much. Add water that's about it. I have a mass of floating water sprite for them to hide in from the bigger fish. Feed First Bites daily.

Its a 12 x12x18 tank, i have a few friends and the special ed school i work for wanna make a tank. As they have crap funding i said i can give it a go. So its for charity really.

That sounds ok, what gallon is it, and plans for the fry would be goin to the school

Its a 30 l tank. The school wont get them untill they are a little bigger i was thinking. Am unsure as yet for plants at school. As i am the man for the fish. Someone else is making the tank, :)

tomoisawatergod said:
Would you recomend a seperate tank?? As i have one, and i think a fry tank would be cool

You could, but you have to ask yourself a question. Do you really need thousands of swordtails? I have only one tank. Plenty of hiding spots for the fry increase their odds. I allow nature to allow the strong to survive. I still have too many and will give them away when they get bigger. That's a personal decision only you can make.

Yep, nature would be good to keep numbers down nd helpful in future generations as well good luck

Back
Top Bottom