Swordtails breeding like rabbits. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpyGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 5yo daughter has a 10g tank with the following: a pleco, a rainbow shark, and two swordtails (one male, one female). They are all very healthy, growing well, and seem to be getting along... although the rainbow does try to chase the swordtails on occasion. Sorry, no photos for now; my wife recently lost the digital camera. :(

Several weeks, I discovered two small fry in the tank. They are now about 2.5 cm in length. A few weeks ago, a LOT of small fry: 12 to 14. They are now about 5 mm in length. And mommy is pregnant again and soon ready to pop!

My question is: what shall I do with all these babies?

Hope you plan to upgrade soon. The rainbow shark needs at least a 55 gallon at full size. They grow to an average 6" and become increasingly aggressive as they mature. Depending on what type of pleco you got they can grow upwards of a foot long.

As far as the fry, as long as they're healthy most fish stores will take them in. They might not give you anything for them, but at least they're not being eaten by the rainbow shark.

I'm actually quite surprised he isn't eating them, he must be really young. He should be fairly good population control in a few months time and you shouldn't have this issue.

You will however have an issue when the rainbow outgrows the swordtails.

Hope you plan to upgrade soon. The rainbow shark needs at least a 55 gallon at full size. They grow to an average 6" and become increasingly aggressive as they mature. Depending on what type of pleco you got they can grow upwards of a foot long.
I knew the pleco would outgrow the tank. Didn't know about the rainbow.

As far as the fry, as long as they're healthy most fish stores will take them in. They might not give you anything for them, but at least they're not being eaten by the rainbow shark.
I'll ask around. Maybe I'll try classifieds too.

I'm actually quite surprised he isn't eating them, he must be really young. He should be fairly good population control in a few months time and you shouldn't have this issue.
I don't know his age, but he's about 8 cm (and fairly plump). I keep them well fed (but not overfed), so that may be why he's not munching down the fry (although I wonder about the first set of fry... I suspect mommy didn't have just two the first time).

Actually, the babies are practically antagonizing the rainbow. When there were just the two adult swordtails, the rainbow would chase them a lot, particularly the female. Now he tends to leave them alone except at feeding time, at which point he tries to dominate the food (especially the pieces of zucchini). But as soon as he starts to chase off one swordtail, all the others swoop in to eat. The fry are quite bold and aren't afraid of him at all. :p

Wish I had your problem, love swordtails and only managed to save 1. The fish in my tank normally gobble up the fry before I manage to save any.

Wish I had your problem, love swordtails and only managed to save 1. The fish in my tank normally gobble up the fry before I manage to save any.
I wish I could send you some of mine, but I don't think they'd make it to Germany. :(

Back
Top Bottom