Tadpoles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beacious

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend and I caught 10 Tadpoles and 10-20 Snails out of our local creek.
Right now I'm cycling my 10 gal (ammonia:8.0 nitrite:0.50 and was wondering if it would be ok to put them in the tank?

Thanks, Beacious.

8.0 ammonia? That is freaking terrible. Is anything alive in that 10g tank? You need to start doing 50% water changes everyday or you are just toturing anything in the tank 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :cry:

tadpoles...

no grimlock, he's just cycling it to get it started, he doesn't have anything living in it right now...
and Beacious, you wouldn't want that many tadpoles or snails in that tank anyway... The tadpoles will obviously turn into frogs at some point and will hop out of the tank, they would be fun to keep though, I've kept a few at a time before and grew them into frogs... how fun it is depends on what type of frog it is too... as for the snails, it also depends on what type of snail it is... there is about 3 different types of snail in that creek that I know of, one kind you absolutely don't want because they will take over the tank, one kind isn't easy to find, and the other kind is the best one to use. I've kept several. The one kind that is the best choice has a bluish flesh color. They're the more atractive out of the three species so that's cool... I'll probably be out at that creek sometime tomorrow, maybe we'll call over there and see what you're doing...

They'd die a horrible death in ammonia that high.
That is freaking terrible. Is anything alive in that 10g tank? You need to start doing 50% water changes everyday or you are just toturing anything in the tank
That's a bit severe. We are all on this board because we love, care and respect animals. Since this is a family oriented site, we must be open to younger members asking for our help.
wondering if it would be ok to put them in the tank?
He asked a simple question, we know the answer is NO, but he did not--there is no need to be harsh.

Beacious--let the tank cycle. How is the research on the fish list? Have you decided frogs are more fun, or are you bored? Remember--beginning in this hobby takes patience :wink:
Also, every time you post like this, everyone will be warning you NOT to do it. You got a ton of great advice from the 10 gal/goldfish thread. Work with that. I saw you asked questions about breeding a type of tetra. Have you decided what will go in the 10 gal once it’s cycled; or are you still searching for THE fish?

I'm going to keep 1 Tadpole (no snails, and not in the 10 gal.). Is it ok to put him in conditioned water? Or does he need to stay in his creek water?

Beacious, I aint tryin to jump in, cause I really have nothing to say about the topic. But man there is no reason to call anyone a fool, and I dont think grimlock was insulting you. So please dont start a flame fest on here. keep it cool and calm. I think grimlock was looking out for the best interest of the fish. I knwo I would have reacted the same way if I thought you had fish in a tank with ammonia readings that high. I mean you ask a question on a open forum you gotta expect people to answer how they feel. So be cool

tadpoles

Hey Beacious, I don't think they'd mind the conditioned water as long as the chlorine is out and the water seems safe, the water out of the tap here, once chlorine is gone, should suit them just fine. I actually went down and caught a few myself just today. That creek water is kind of gross, it's a little nicer since they cleaned it but it's still gross. I'm sure the tadpole doesn't mind too much but you would probably enjoy some cleaner water...

My friend & I went to JBU. What do you feed them? And the prosess? How long? Right now he is in just water.

About the ammonia, what should I do? It has been like that for about 4 days. So has the nitrite. I've been cycling with raw shrimp. When I saw that the Nitrites started I took the shrimp out. Water is still cloudy (3 days since I took out the shrimp).

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beacious, start doing 50% water changes daily, that will bring your readings down eventually. Your water is probably cloudy due to your high ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings. Water changes will solve your problem.

BTW, you might want to do a little research on tadpoles to see what kind of enviroment they need. One came in with the feeder fish where I work, I took it home and placed it in a 5 gal tank (just so that no non-caring customer would do who knows what with it), and it was dead the next day. I put it into a cycled tank, but very clean water, a BIG difference from what *most* creeks are like. You may want to add half and half...some creek water and some regular tap water....

Good luck with it! That would be wicked if you could keep it alive and see it grow into a frog. If you are successful..might have to let me know how you did it...I will take a trip down the hill to the creek and catch some for myself to raise :)

Devilishturtles,
if it works I'll give you all the info I can. Also, that would not only be wicked, it'd be wicked-awsome!

! !
!!!!!
~~

LOL, It'd be off da hook!!! :wink: I'll use some lingo that us young AA users will know and appreciate! That's pretty PHAT beacious, keep up the good work, don't keep your info on the down-low...let us all know...and ::thinks of something else to say:: yep, can't its 3:30 in the morning...I don't even know why I am still online...
::shrugs::

Anywho, good luck!

I would do 50% water changes every day until the ammonia and nitrites are down. I would use NovAqua Plus for my water conditioner. You can get this at places like Petco or Petsmart, but it should help. It may be better to just start over and put the NovAqua Plus in it. It helps to establish a good balance of nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia without having to filter it for however long it takes to get it balanced. But I would test it every week when you change the water (10% for filtered tanks and 100% for unfiltered tanks). When the ammonia reads anything over zero, do 50% water changes until it goes down and test the amonia before every change. If you do this, the tads should be fine.

As for what they eat, mine eat algea discs, but that isn't really enough nutrition for tads. I would probably feed them boiled spinach or lettuce suplemented with frozen (not freeze dried-can kill your tad by making it constipated) bloodworms. If anyone more experienced has something different, then I would go with them on it.

As for the snails, I have had very bad experiences with wild snails. They lay eggs everywhere and the eggs hatch into more snails that lay more eggs. I personally wouldn't keep snails. On top of this, they can really stink up a room when they die. Unless you want your house to smell like roadkill, I wouldn't keep snails. If you're worried about algea, don't be. As can be seen through my tads eating the algea discs, it's their natural food source and would prefer to munch on it before munching on anything else. They would keep algea at bay, probably better than any snail or fish in a pet store. But you also have to think that those snails also eat the algea and you really don't want overgrazing going on. It's like putting too much livestock in a field with little or no grass without any additional food. The livestock are going to try to eat the field out until they start dying off.

Well, I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom