Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #1

Taking care of new born fry

What is needed in order to take care of fry of any fish and when can I put them in a normal community tank thanks

Old 12-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For livebearers like mollies and guppies you need lots of hiding places if you are going to keep them in with the adult fish. Or you can move them to a fry only tank. If you do that you need a sponge filter or a hang on back filter with a sponge over the intake so the fry do not get sucked up. You can also put them in a breeder box inside the main tank. You need fry food or flakes that you can crush into a powder so the fry can eat it. Keep the temperature between 76 to 78 degrees. Live-bearers are not to hard to raise. I do not know about fish who lay eggs.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebennett View Post
What is needed in order to take care of fry of any fish and when can I put them in a normal community tank thanks
Different fish fry require different foods so you need to be a bit more specific with which type of fish fry you want to discuss. As for the second part of your question, fish fry are safe to put into a community tank once they are large enough to not get eaten by the other fish in the tank. There are no set guidelines and timelines for this. It's different for every type of fish.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I concur, we need to know what type of fish you're thinking about. Livebearers do best on fresh hatched baby brine shrimp, while most egg layer fry are far too small to eat the same shrimp. Also with egg layers there are differing amounts of time you must wait to feed the fry as they have a yoke sack to consume. Once the yoke sack is gone they are free swimming. For my egg layers, I use good old green water as a first food. Between the green water and the sponge filter, my fish are ready for shrimp in just a few days after free swimming. Also, in a community tank the fish will eat any eggs that are laid unless it is cichlids and that doesn't always save them either.

Tags
care, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com