Tetra eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HandyAndy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently stocking a 37gl. tank slowly. Currently, in the tank, there are:
7 neon tetras
3 bleeding heart tetras
1 male swordtail
1 micky mouse platy
1 albino bristle nose Pleco
1 emerald cory
Last night I noticed something sticking to the glass. Really small. I got out a magnifying glass and they look like a silver piece of rice with a hair/piece of fuzz sticking out of it. They are like the size of a pin head and I've only found 6 of them so far. They don't appear to be moving and seem to have a slight haze around them like mucus or something. It is not a planted tank so I don't think anything could have hitch hiked in. I googled it and couldn't find any comparable images. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Oh I am not sure how tetras breed but I would love to know, so if you don't mind, I am going to watch your thread to see what others have to say.

I know some people think it's impossible to breed tetras, it's not, my silvertips spawn regularly, but I don't think that the things described in the OP are tetra eggs. IME tetra eggs get scattered over plants and do not stick.

Ok this is a dumb question, but will oto's eat the eggs or the fish themselves and when you spot eggs is there anything special you should do?

Just to clarify, I'm not intentionally trying to breed tetras. This is community tank build. I've Googled a bunch of info today trying to I.D. whatever is stuck to the glass on my tank. It is definitely an organism, but not sure what. From what I've read, Tetras can certainly be bred, but I can't find any images of what their eggs look like. I am suspicious because I got my Bleeding Heart Tetras last weekend and the biggest one is getting very aggressive with other fish including the rest of the school. Whatever they are, definitely are stuck in one place and don't show any signs of life yet but have that iridescent look like a cell under a microscope. I haven't found any on fake plants or anything else. Maybe the filter sucked up the rest. Weird!

Oh and I was was thinking about getting some Ottos this weekend before this happened, so it is not a dumb question!

Just to clarify, I'm not intentionally trying to breed tetras. This is community tank build. I've Googled a bunch of info today trying to I.D. whatever is stuck to the glass on my tank. It is definitely an organism, but not sure what. From what I've read, Tetras can certainly be bred, but I can't find any images of what their eggs look like. I am suspicious because I got my Bleeding Heart Tetras last weekend and the biggest one is getting very aggressive with other fish including the rest of the school. Whatever they are, definitely are stuck in one place and don't show any signs of life yet but have that iridescent look like a cell under a microscope. I haven't found any on fake plants or anything else. Maybe the filter sucked up the rest. Weird!

Yeah, I wasn't thinking you were trying to breed them, it's just that when I say I've had tetras spawn for me some people just stare at me like I use some kind of fishie black magic :lol:

Oh and I was was thinking about getting some Ottos this weekend before this happened, so it is not a dumb question!

Otos shouldn't eat the eggs, although if you DO want to raise fry, a HOB breeder box or something of the type is the absolute best home for the eggs.

I was thinking about keeping a 5 gl. for the heck of surprises or solitary confinement, but this is puzzling me. I don't know if I should try and save them or scrub them out. No clue what they are.

No, I don't have any snails or live plants and the tank has only been set up for about 4 months. The closest thing I can relate it to visually is a gnat on a windshield but smaller. I'll try and take a picture.

Weird, I am interested in knowing what happens.

I was just curious because I would love for my tetras to breed, but reading some more I will have to wait awhile before I can try that adventure. But how would you safely pick up the eggs to put them in the breeding net?

Can you tell I haven't had anything breed, and in my parents tank we never found eggs just the fry and moved them.

Good luck I hope they are fish and not something harmful.

No change in color or place. I'm going to let it go until the weekend and if nothing is wiggling, the tank is getting scrubbed.

Back
Top Bottom