Texas Cichlid laid eggs, first time!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any advice for care? Just came home tonight and found them!!!
The pic is my male guarding them
I want to clean the tank but scared I will hurt them or stress them or parents. Any advice on that aspect??
Thanks!!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424580269.983164.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Congratulationsssss. Great looking Texas. You can do water changes, just do frequent small ones or dose with methylene blue to prevent any fungus forming on the eggs. Other than that Texas cichlids are pretty good parents. They'll take turns with the eggs, watch for them to fan the eggs. You could increase aeration in the tank.

Only thing to look out for is the female eating the eggs. She will pick off the bad eggs...just make sure she doesn't go crazy and eat them all. Keep us updated on the fry!

Congratulationsssss. Great looking Texas. You can do water changes, just do frequent small ones or dose with methylene blue to prevent any fungus forming on the eggs. Other than that Texas cichlids are pretty good parents. They'll take turns with the eggs, watch for them to fan the eggs. You could increase aeration in the tank.

Only thing to look out for is the female eating the eggs. She will pick off the bad eggs...just make sure she doesn't go crazy and eat them all. Keep us updated on the fry!

Thanks Nigel!!! I will for sure!!

Checked when I got home from work today, mom must have gotten carried away eating them, there was only 1 white one when I left this morning, only about 100 left. I can see little black specs in them now tho!!!!

The pic is of mom with dad in the back ground

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424730805.723286.jpg

I'm so jealous, I love Texas cichlids. I ended up convincing myself to not get one for some reason.

I wasn't really struck on them when I first got them, but I do love them now. My male is a cranky little thing, constantly putting the run to his mate. As of the mood in the tank right now, valentines day has been extended lol he's very attentive to her and doing lots of lip locking.

Although I am not pleased with him at the moment, I glanced over tonight and saw him snacking away on the eggs, only about 50 left now. :(

I need to go buy them a flat stone tomorrow so maybe they will take to that for future batches

Back
Top Bottom