Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Texas cichlids!! Breeding pair?

So in my 75 gallon tank, i have a big Oscar, a Syno, and 6 juvenile Texas cichlids, which are actually Carpintis and not the true Texas.

I will get rid of the oscar as soon as a pair forms. The Texas are about 1-4 inches long, the size difference isn't helpful but it was the best i could do.

So i know how to sex them, i understand they are easy to breed. The female is ready to breed at 2-3 inches so i shouldn't have to wait more than a month or two.

What i need to know is:
- How to make sure the female will be safe from the male?
- Should i remove the fry when they are free-swimming or not until the parents breed again?
- Would a target fish like another durable, somewhat smaller cichlid be helpful?
- Will fry be ok with filters?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive heard that doing a big water change and having a warmer temperature makes them inclined to breed.

Does the diet matter at all? This is what i feed them, i use some of all of it each day, and they get it all.

-Hikari Gold Floating Pellet

-Himari Gold Sinking Pellet

-Hikari Food Sticks

-Hikari Sinking Wafers

-Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets

-Tetra Freeze-Dried JumboKrill

-Hikari Freeze-Dried Brine Shrimp

-Hikari Freeze Dried Bloodworms

-Aqueon Tropical Flake

-FROZEN BLOODWORMS(the favorite)

As i said, i do small amounts of everything and feed twice a day. They scavenge the bottom and there is no extra food.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the answers..,

Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayzorBeams View Post
So in my 75 gallon tank, i have a big Oscar, a Syno, and 6 juvenile Texas cichlids, which are actually Carpintis and not the true Texas.

I will get rid of the oscar as soon as a pair forms. The Texas are about 1-4 inches long, the size difference isn't helpful but it was the best i could do.

So i know how to sex them, i understand they are easy to breed. The female is ready to breed at 2-3 inches so i shouldn't have to wait more than a month or two.

What i need to know is:
- How to make sure the female will be safe from the male?
- Should i remove the fry when they are free-swimming or not until the parents breed again?
- Would a target fish like another durable, somewhat smaller cichlid be helpful?
- Will fry be ok with filters?

Thanks!!

Cichlids can be very aggressive when preparing for spawning so in reality, there is no way to 100% protect your fish other than not having them pair up. I prefer to breed any cichlid in a tank by themselves. This stops any other fish from causing stress on the parents and jeopardizing the fry.

When you let Cichlids parent raise their spawns, they tend to not spawn as often so if you are not trying to raise multitudes of fry in multiple tanks, I'd let the fry stay in there until the pair stops showing interest in them and starts preparing to spawn again.

The best filter for breeding fish is a sponge filter. Multiple sponge filters if the tank is large. HOBs can suck up free swimming fry and more importantly, the fry's foods so you don't want to use them. Regarding fry food, I also don't use gravel or substrate of any kind in a breeding tank so that the food doesn't get lost in it and decompose and pollute the water. In the case of these fish, I'd keep the bottom bare and just put some medium sized flat stones or pieces of driftwood along the bottom for the pair to spawn on.

Hope this helps
Old 08-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the fry are just living with the parents in the big tank, and as long as i get a survivor or two im fine, dont need the whole bunch of 'em to survive...

Tags
air, breed, breeding, breeding pair, cichlid, cichlids, ich, pair, texas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com