The start of the Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will the cat def. Stalk the tank? Can you bitter apple it or better yet get one of those sprayer sensor things?! Or if you gave the time and a squirt gun;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will the cat def. Stalk the tank? Can you bitter apple it or better yet get one of those sprayer sensor things?! Or if you gave the time and a squirt gun;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think, unless that was a staged picture, the cat has already found the tank....and it was empty! Just think what having something moving in there will do to attract the cat....... ( mine used to climb up the tv and some shelving to get to my Betta bowls. :facepalm: ) Plus, you have to be careful not to spray anything with an aroma that the airpump can pick up and poison the water with. ( I can tell you a number of sad stories of airpumps indirectly killing tanks :facepalm: )
So it's really going to depend on the cat's reaction to the tank and the fish's reaction to the cat if totally keeping the cat away from the tank is not an option. :blink:

Those Angels are pretty familiar with the cat. As he watches the community tank all day. But I will watch the situation and reassess once we move them.

I've hit a little speed bump. We tested the water with intent to move the pair tonight to find this:

A: 0.25
Ni: 1
Na: 90

I did a %40 water change, but now im thinking we should wait an other week? What do you think? The fighting is getting out of hand both of the "males" in each pair are getting their fins damaged.

Side note: once this pair is done breeding can they return to the community tank? Or can they stay in this 46 permanently? Once they are all done, do you think they will still be aggressive or can I add some other fish later? I realize I'm talking about years down the road.

Sent from my iPhone

Those Angels are pretty familiar with the cat. As he watches the community tank all day. But I will watch the situation and reassess once we move them.

I've hit a little speed bump. We tested the water with intent to move the pair tonight to find this:

A: 0.25
Ni: 1
Na: 90

I did a %40 water change, but now im thinking we should wait an other week? What do you think? The fighting is getting out of hand both of the "males" in each pair are getting their fins damaged.

Side note: once this pair is done breeding can they return to the community tank? Or can they stay in this 46 permanently? Once they are all done, do you think they will still be aggressive or can I add some other fish later? I realize I'm talking about years down the road.

Sent from my iPhone
Okay, but here's something to consider: the fish may be used to the cat looking at them in the community tank where they have other issues they need to be concerned about as well but in a tank by themselves, and with them hopefully wanting to spawn, they are now the center of the cat's attention and a bigger distraction/ threat to their egg's safety. That's a whole different ball game. :blink:
For me, once a pair has formed, they should remain by themselves. I don't put breeding pairs back with other Angels because they will always be fighting for spawning rights. Even if I lose a member of a pair, I put a substitute fish in the breeder's tank not the other way around. I consider a breeding Angel as a lone fish for the rest of it's time. When the pair gets too old to breed, THEN you might be able to put them back into a community scenario but I would not suggest a community with other Angels.

Now, maybe I'm just "old school" but you seem to be making this move a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Steps to move the fish fast: 1) take an empty tank 2) fill it with water the fish are currently in so that when finished, the water is 80% tank water and 20% new water. ( This will be like doing a 20% water change for the fish) 3) install a sponge filter ( new, old, cycled, uncycled, it doesn't matter.) 4) if necessary, install a heater. Let the heater correct the temp then go to step 5. 5) Put the fish in the tank. 6) cover the tank. DONE!!!!!!
Obviously, the best way is to use a cycled sponge filter or one that has been in a running tank for some time but IF you are using an uncycled sponge, you will need to watch the ammonia level. Considering that there will only be 2 fish in the tank, the ammonia level should not rise drastically at a rapid pace. Since you won;t be doing heavy feeding and you will be doing water changes weekly, IF there is an ammonia issue, just use PRIME to detoxify the ammonia so it won;t really harm the fish even tho ammonia is present. (It's converted to ammonium which has less effect on the fish.) Considering that the majority of the water in the tank is from an established tank already, there will be, more than likely, some BB that will transfer over with the water to colonize the new sponge. You could even move a decoration ( which most likely has some BB on it) from the main tank into the new tank to help inoculate the sponge. Once you see that the sponge is established ( through water tests), you can remove the decoration to help keep the bottom of the tank clean for the fry.

As for the water, you don;t necessarily have to fill the new tank up all the way to the top the first day. There just needs to be enough water for the fish to swim in comfortably so if filling the new tank with the main tank's water means taking too much water out of the main tank, just take out enough water to again, be doing a 20% (max) water change in the main tank. If there is enough water in the new tank for the fish to go into it, you can then add some water to the new tank on a daily basis ( i.e. 1 gal of new water per day) until you fill up the tank. This way the change will be gradual. If you've ever seen some of the pics I've posted of my fish tanks, you will see magic marker marks on the sides of the glass. In the small tanks, they are marked at 5 gals then 1 gallon increments up to the top. In my larger tanks, they are marked every 5 gallons. I've taken fish and put them in a 30 long with only 10 gals of water and kept adding until the tank was full. It doesn't harm the fish to add slowly. It's just like a river that swells over the course of weeks instead of immediately.
Realistically, the water in the new tank should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and possibly some nitrates because it's from the established tank. But you will be diluting the nitrates either by adding the water to fill the tank or by doing your weekly water changes. Control your feeding and you will control your water chemistry. There are only 2 fish in the tank. It's not hard. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412112247.262991.jpg

The happy couple.

Andy was right about the cat annoying them. We ghetto rigged the bottom half of the tank with cardboard and I'm going to get them a couple of big fake plants. Hopefully that will help. We will see... We might have to find an other room for them if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone

After consulting some old posts and finding a video that shows lip lock action it would appear I caught my angel pair doing the breeding dance! Tonight was brine shrimp night. We wrapped most of the bottom of the tank with card board and the cat seems to ignore it. They also don't get scared when I walk up to the tank, seems they still recognize me as the keeper of the mosquito larvae.

I bought tons of tall fake plants and they seem to love it. I'm debating changing out that blue bulb and getting real lights and some potted live plants.

Andy, I saw a YouTube video and it says once babies are free swimming to leave the lights on so they don't get confused and eat the fry???

Sent from my iPhone

After consulting some old posts and finding a video that shows lip lock action it would appear I caught my angel pair doing the breeding dance! Tonight was brine shrimp night. We wrapped most of the bottom of the tank with card board and the cat seems to ignore it. They also don't get scared when I walk up to the tank, seems they still recognize me as the keeper of the mosquito larvae.

I bought tons of tall fake plants and they seem to love it. I'm debating changing out that blue bulb and getting real lights and some potted live plants.

Andy, I saw a YouTube video and it says once babies are free swimming to leave the lights on so they don't get confused and eat the fry???

Sent from my iPhone

Geez, just how stupid do people think these fish are? :facepalm: I believe that if they are smart enough to make fry, they are smart enough to remember they made fry. Here's my reason why:
All my breeding Angels are outside and their only lighting is the sun and the moon. The sun comes up and it's light and the sun goes down and it's dark. Plain and simple. On the occasions where I missed the spawn or was out of town when the fish spawned or I didn;t have room for the eggs inside the house, the eggs had to stay outside in the breeder tanks ( again, where the lighting was natural only). I've not had any parent "mistake" a fry for food or "forget" they had fry and ate them. Why? Because that's not what they do!!! They will not eat fry if the fry are not in danger. They will not eat the fry if they are hungry ( as in when I was away for 4 days and the fish spawned and hatched their eggs when not being fed for the 4 days I was away) and they certainly can't take proper care of the fry if the parents are tired from being up all night because someone forgot to turn out the lights!! :lol: So which ever old wife told you that tale, she was mistaken. Turn out the lights and keep the lighting to a set schedule. Put the lights on a timer so the fish are used to the regimen.
Having said all that, fry that are being raised in with the parents are always in jeopardy because the parents now decide when the fry are not safe. Other fish can spook them, too much human intervention can spook them, other animals can spook them, ghosts can spook them ( had to through that one in for Halloween :D ) causing the parents to protect their offspring by eating them ( ironic isn't it but not the only animal that does this) , which is why most professional breeders don;t leave their fry with the parents.
So just on case you don;t believe me, here's a video of a tank full of fry with their parents, OUTSIDE ;)

beautiful andy

Thanks Bob. :)
I guess I just have "the touch" because I don;t do most of what I read others suggest and yet I have pair after pair of Angels spawning. Lights on 24 hrs a day? 30 gal tanks minimum for pairs? Forced starvation?? It's all nuts to me :ROFLMAO:

Just think about how angelfishes breed and survive in the wild....they dont have any artifical light..lol...i dont have any artifical lighting atall around any of my pairs and they do very well...they sire spawns of 200 babies and even more...

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom