Tiger barb females fat bellys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddiewolfgang

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got 4 tiger barbs for almost a year now. 3 females and 1 male. The females bellies grew a lot, I think they may be ready to lay eggs.

I have em in a 55gal tank with two bala sharks.
I never had any experience with breeding.
What should I do, do I have to separate them ?

image-1612415224.jpg

I got 4 tiger barbs for almost a year now. 3 females and 1 male. The females bellies grew a lot, I think they may be ready to lay eggs.

I have em in a 55gal tank with two bala sharks.
I never had any experience with breeding.
What should I do, do I have to separate them ?

First of all you need to make sure that they are pregnant .... Is the male following a particular female around lately? Diets how many times a day do you feed them? Here's a picture of a REALLY pregnant barb if she is like this they will hatch soon...

image-531177304.jpg

First of all you need to make sure that they are pregnant .... Is the male following a particular female around lately? Diets how many times a day do you feed them? Here's a picture of a REALLY pregnant barb if she is like this they will hatch soon...

Here's another pic. No the male doesn't follow any particular females, they all roam randomly, mostly in groups together.
I used to feed them once a day until they grew, they eat a lot more so I feed them like 2 times a day.
I started feeding them freeze dried bloodworms.

Can they lay eggs in the tank I have when they're ready?
The female barbs I have are not as big as the one u showed in the pic.

image-2469491010.jpg

Here's another pic. No the male doesn't follow any particular females, they all roam randomly, mostly in groups together.
I used to feed them once a day until they grew, they eat a lot more so I feed them like 2 times a day.
I started feeding them freeze dried bloodworms.

Can they lay eggs in the tank I have when they're ready?
The female barbs I have are not as big as the one u showed in the pic.

I think he is quite a bit pregnant

You mean she haha?

So what you need to do is find who "her" partner is and separate just them into a different tank and once she lays the eggs he will immediately fertilize and then you want to take the babies and put them in a separate tank from the mom and dad (so you can pretty much just take the mom and dad and put them in the original tank

Ok thnx. I'm gonna have to wait bc I don't thing they're ready yet

That's perfectly fine once she gets as big as that pic I would move her... If she happens to lay her eggs before you separate everything then don't panic just take the plants with the eggs on them and transport them and another thing check all pants everyday for eggs and if you don't have any plants/decorations then you really need to get some...also once the babies hatch put them in a breeder net/tank the little tank that clips on your tank

Tiger barbs will eat the eggs almost as fast as they are layed. if you have a seperate tank to let them breed in, put a couple layers of egg crate (light difuser panel) in the bottom so that the eggs can fall into it and still be fertilized by the male without them being able to get close enough to eat them. then remove the parents to the main tank as soon as breeding is done.

Tiger barbs will eat the eggs almost as fast as they are layed. if you have a seperate tank to let them breed in, put a couple layers of egg crate (light difuser panel) in the bottom so that the eggs can fall into it and still be fertilized by the male without them being able to get close enough to eat them. then remove the parents to the main tank as soon as breeding is done.

I decided not to do anything with them, I'm just gonna leave them in the tank. Seems kinda difficult, thank you, I appreciate your help everyone.

Attachments

• image-804857683.jpg
    image-804857683.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 202
Back
Top Bottom