Tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brettyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 tiger barbs I think one is male and the other female.

In my research, a whole 5 minutes worth I have got the adult male when spawning is metallic green with red ventral fins. The female have bright black strips and the nose goes pale. Is this right? I have one of each of these descriptions.

Now I have read the male will head stand and flare to show off to the female then chase her in the morning.

Now I see the male doing the head stand in the corners but what has me confused is the female is forever chasing him.

I'm not interested in breeding just trying to work out if this is what's going on.

I have 2 tiger barbs I think one is male and the other female.

In my research, a whole 5 minutes worth I have got the adult male when spawning is metallic green with red ventral fins. The female have bright black strips and the nose goes pale. Is this right? I have one of each of these descriptions.

Now I have read the male will head stand and flare to show off to the female then chase her in the morning.

Now I see the male doing the head stand in the corners but what has me confused is the female is forever chasing him.

I'm not interested in breeding just trying to work out if this is what's going on.

Male Tiger Barbs in breeding condition ( reg and albino) will have a red nose while the female will not. if your supposed male does not have a red nose, she is just chasing it and it may just be because there are 2 in the tank. Barbs are schooling fish and are better kept in schools to prevent this type of behavior on any one fish in particular. If you do have a pair and you are not interested in breeding them, you don't have to do anything as the eggs will be scattered amongst the decorations in the tank then eaten by the parents and other fish in the tank. It's a good food source so those eggs will not go to waste. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks

I did have a school when I started my cycle which is finished now but slowly durning cycling I lost a couple. The 2 have been like love birds getting on like house on fire till the last couple of days.

I did some other research actually think the male may have had mild swim bladder and the female was just picking on him as he was acting weak. Didn't feed the tank last night and have notice an improvement in the pair.

Back
Top Bottom