Tiger barbs, how to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CandyWrapper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have 5 tiger barbs, and I'm looking into breeding them. I know I have males, that much is obvious, but the smallest barb appears to be a female. It barely has any red on it at all. She was seperated from the rest due to devoloping fin rot, and then came down with ick. She's survived, but is always on her own in the tank. She hardly ever joins the other four...

Anyway, as I said, I'm interested in trying to breed her. Would I remove her from the main tank to get her ready?

Would 10 gallons be enough to raise the fry? That's the only empty tank I have, the next biggest tank I own is 29 gallons but that has a turtle in it... Fry and turtles would not mix too well, I'm afraid.

The tank would be cycled, I've still got to get some ammonia to cycle it, though.

Would some live plants help?

Should I try to lower the pH? My pH in the main tank stays at about 8.1, which is quite high, I believe.

Anything else I should know?

You can look on YouTube and it sometimes has steps on what needs to be done to breed tiger barbs.
I'm not sure how to breed tiger barbs but I did a lot of research on it and found some useful stuff on there.

Back
Top Bottom