Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Timing on releasing babies into the main tank?

I have a Cichlid tank and recently 11 new arrivals showed up.

I am holding the fish in a floating breeder unit. The babies are very active and are eating massive amounts of food (more than I would have expected). They are still quite small, about an inch long at the max.

I was wondering when the babies could be released.

Actually one assertive little bugger jumped out of the holding tank into the main tank. He is living the high life hiding under rocks and eating scraps that float to the bottom.

This morning I noticed that the 10 left in the holding tank is now 9. I am not sure if there was another jumper, or if they are starting to eat each other.

Anyone have any ideas? There are 7 fish in the tank. Three catfish that don't show themselves very often, about two to three inches long. 3 african cichlids. One about 5-6 inches, the others are 3-4. One South American cichlid about 3.5 inches long.

Thanks for your ideas!

Old 05-17-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well, I probably wouldn't have removed them to the breeder net to begin with, cichlids are very good parents, as a general rule. Since it is already done, once the fry won't fit in the mouth of the bigger fish, you casn release them. You are still liable to lose a few, but they will stand a better chance than they will in the net. Make sure you haave plenty of hiding spots that they can fit into, but the larger fish can't.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 08:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I appreciate your input. I am probably still about a week away from releasing them. They are very speedy little fella's and I think they will probably be just fine in the big tank.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

An inch long? bah no problem with releasing them into the general population.

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
babies, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com