To seperate or not to separate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a tank mostly full of females (the person i bought them from online sent me 15 females to one male..but he's sending me another male)..i have 2 very pregnant females...one i think closer then the other..i've only had them for about a week and a half now..i've noticed the bigger female kinda secluding herself..i thought it would come this week but so far nothing...i have a breeding net...but unsure of how stressful those things are for them..i've read where they are...and i dont want her sitting in this small net for a long time if nothing happens..(okay eventually something will..lol..) so should i separate..or should i not?

ps. honeslty not new to breeding guppies..this is just the first time i've had so many at once..normally i have a trio maybe two so i've never separated them...i just dont want some of my guppies who are pigs to have a tasty treat:fish1:

I would put them in the net, especially if they are looking squared off and acting like they are going to pop.

With that many other fish in the tank, the fry that do make it are going to be hiding like crazy and really hard to catch if you plan to transfer them to a grow out.

Thank you..got right out of bed to put her in the tank..I sent this just before I was getting off line...had to do some maneuvering cause my tank is round...which I knew would be an issue...hopefully I'll have a surprise soon..I feel bad sticking her in there...

if it makes you feel any better I keep all of my really pregnant females in nets. It really increases the fry survival rate.
img_1357871_0_ef4b7798570c2ce3d35fee381241b04c.jpg

if it makes you feel any better I keep all of my really pregnant females in nets. It really increases the fry survival rate.
img_1358206_0_ef4b7798570c2ce3d35fee381241b04c.jpg

i believe i've seen this picture somewhere on the boards lol..yes it does actually..still no fry yet :ermm:

Yeah I posted it on the breeder box thread.

I have kept some guppies in there for several days up to weeks even, the smaller females are a little harder to gauge pregnancy wise, so I just move em in when they start getting plump. They seem to do fine though, they eat like the rest do at feeding time, and I also add in some moss and other plants to help keep them secluded.

i hope the female is okay i dont think she's eatened much....or moved much for that matter...i thought maybe she would of dropped but still holding out...probably just being impatient but i hope she's okay

Hope so also. If you see any type of stress that is concerning you don't hesitate to move her back in with the rest of the community, rather lose a few fry than risk getting the mother sick over it.

I watched her since putting up another reply...she does swim..then gets really still but her fins flutter a bit then she jerks bit doesn't go anywhere...and repeats the process again.....hopefully I won't have to type this again cause the site gives me some error token expired LOL

update...still NO babies :*( my mom got me a thermometer and the temp was to low in my opinion..so i went out and bought another heater its bumping up...just want to get it about 78.....i put a little top floating plant to kinda help her feel secluded..besides the corny twig looking things the breeder net comes in..i looked at your pictures and it looks like the greenish blueish ones...i know i worry to much..but geez this is torture! lol

Back
Top Bottom