Too many platy to handle. Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few months ago I started breeding platys. I have 2 20 gallon tanks and the males are in one, while the females are in another. I keep finding more fry because the females are still giving birth, I guess from storing sperm. Anyway, I have tons of fry. I probably have over 30. Anyway, as they get older I release them into the main tank and separate them when they are old enough to sex. I thought I was done getting fry because I haven't seen any in weeks and today I caught 15! This is too much. I can't buy another tank. Like I said I have 2 20 gallon tanks. I'm not trying to overstock them. I don't have any friends with tanks so I don't know what to do with all these fry. And I don't want them to get eaten either. Anyone have any suggestions?

You could list them on Craigslist or nextdoor.com, but your best bet may be taking them to a fish shop. If they're old enough to sex, you might be able to get some store credit.

I don't have any friends with tanks so I don't know what to do with all these fry. And I don't want them to get eaten either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome, Brother, to Platys Anonymous! :lol:

I've been going through the same thing for months: give platys good food and a healthy environment and... BABIES!!! :eek:

As mine get up to an inch in size, I take them to my LFS. You just need to buy some transport bags and practicing catching fish. (And platys are good at "Catch me if you can!!")

Thank you for your help guys! I talked to my LFS and they said they'll take them when they're big enough. Where can I get transport bags?

I used a bucket before, although Ziplocs work in a pinch. Just make sure you only put about half of the bag with water.

Back
Top Bottom