totally confused guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MickeyA

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so in my 30 I had 18 female guppies 1 male fancy type and well over the last week of observing them I realized that I now have 9 females now and 9 males without color at all I verified the sex of them all before I put them in the 30 and been watching them everyday so can they change sexy and if they do will the color gene be activated in the females that changed

Sometimes guppies don't mature at the same rate. In my experience and reading i have noticed that ones I thought were females are and always were males, they just mature later than the others. As far as the color gene I couldn't tell you, since guppies are livebearers and females are frequently fertilized, unless you take a virgin guppy and only one male, it's difficult to identify the father. The females often are already fertilized when you get them from the store.

Like mentioned you'll probably find that it's because they werent given enough time to mature.

Vegetarian fish nut said:
Sometimes guppies don't mature at the same rate. In my experience and reading i have noticed that ones I thought were females are and always were males, they just mature later than the others. As far as the color gene I couldn't tell you, since guppies are livebearers and females are frequently fertilized, unless you take a virgin guppy and only one male, it's difficult to identify the father. The females often are already fertilized when you get them from the store.

Thats why I was confused all the females were 2 months old all the males that were in there group of fry have full color already

Back
Top Bottom