Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Trying out the breeder box

More for curiosities sake than anything, I've popped big mama in a little breeder box to see how many she gives birth to. I'm hoping I've done the right thing, she isn't ecstatic about it. Should birth tonight/tomorrow (it's been 4 weeks and 3 days now since her last drop - previous months its been 4w 1d & 4w 4d). The box strikes me as tiny though! You guys use these things successfully?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi personally I wouldn't use a breeding trap. I prefer to plant heavily with fine leave plants in one corner of the aquarium and let the young take there chances so to speak. It seems cruel because as you say they are tiny. If you want to rear on loads of fry your best choice would be to set up another aquarium and plant heavily,place the female in there for awhile and you should soon get loads of young and one happy female{not being chased by the male so much!}

Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm. Yeah, I've had huge success with fry in the main tank. It's heavily planted. I think as I said, it's curiosity more than anything. I get 10-15 survivors each batch, but I want to know how many she actually births. I'll put the thing away tomorrow. I don't like it one bit.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

She's free. Poor thing hated that. I'm feeling guilty. Gave her a treat to make it up to her and now she's swimming around happily again.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And... Now she's small again. Had her babies. Saw two quickly darting through the plants. Wish I knew how many she carried - she gets enormous! She's the biggest mama in my tank!

Tags
breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com