turning off the light at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
cause I been doing that for the pass 5 days...would it do any harm to my fish if I turn off the light at night... I'll turn off the light everynight so that whenever the guppies or platy gave birth they won't see their baby...And I'll turn the light back on every morning. and today I did the same thing just that this time I went back and turn it on like an hour later, suddenly all my fishes look dead or tired cause they were all on the bottom not moving or barely move a fin... I was so scare, but a few min. later they all got up and start swimming around again...whew scare me... also it was pitch black cause their light was off so was my bedroom light...

NapowVagie...;)))

You should turn the lights out at night. Fish need sleep just like you do. When you see them resting on the bottom or suspended and not moving, they're usually sleeping.

You should try to keep a schedule for the fish, as to not confuse them. I do except for this week while I'm on vacation. I usually turn the lights on when I get home from work and don't shut them off until I go to bed. Some days that can be anywhere from 2-4am. I know how it freaks you out when they're sitting on the bottom or suspended not doing anything, as it freaks me out and I think they're going to die. Mine have gotten so smart that they hide under the breeding grass so I can't wake them.

Last edited:
I use a timer set for an 11 hour duration and never have to worry about forgetting it or if we're not home. If I'm doing something at odd hours where I need the light on, there's an override switch.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

@ilovemyfishes: lol thanks for the heads up...;))) yeah I usually turn off the light at night like maybe from 12am or I'll tell my brother to turn it off everynight he go to sleep (they're in his room)... the next morning I'll just turn the light back on whenever I get home from school...;))) they're fine every morning I come home from school. Just hungry so I fed them too...lol...

@Mr.Limpet
lucky u have a timer...;) save u less time to go turn off the light...lol Jk... but cool... I can't set timer on mine cause the cover part doesn't come with it but its ok...;)))

NapowVagie...;)))

Back
Top Bottom