Two Females no Male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ineiman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I created an account to ask you all a question about my female angelfish! I recently set up a freshwater tank about a month ago. My angelfish are both female and have recently begun laying eggs. The first time they ended up just eating them all right after laying them but now there's a lot of eggs that they are actually taking care of. The sad thing, which you can obviously tell from my title, is that there is no male to fertilize the eggs. So my question is really what I should do with all the eggs. Leave them? Remove them? Try to get a male? These are the first fish that I've ever had to lay eggs and any advice would help! Thank you!

I would just leave them. They will eventually eat them and they are a high protein food source. As for getting a male, there are no guarantees that they will spawn with one but if you want to try, go for it. Just remember tho, breeding pairs of Angelfish are best kept by themselves in a tank unless the tank is very long. They can get very aggressive towards their tankmates when preparing to spawn and afterwards protecting the eggs so if the other fish don't have room to get out of the way, they might end up injured or killed.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom