u got male or female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
is their a time where a male does not have a distingwishing gnonopodium and can be mistaked as female by begginner aquariests?

Depends on how much research the "beginner aquarist" has done really. A seasoned fishkeeper can mistakenly ID the sex of a fish if they haven't researched it well

I am not an expert by far but I would say no from all the males and females I have seen. There is either a fin or a tube (fin=female) ("tube/straw"= male). Do u have a picture maybe someone could help you distinguish.

gspot

do some gonopodiums take time to look like a gonopodium?

black molly

the molly looks shorter and stouter and chases the femals

Well... When the newly born, I don't think it is easy to tell... But it doesn't take long until things get pretty obvious!

im gona get a camera this monthbig help

Generally after a week of being born you are able to see the gonopodium (anal fin of male) which is like a little stick which can be moved around, females will have a gravid spot and a triangular shaped anal fin. This applies only to livebearers i.e guppies, mollies, endlers, swordtails, platies etc (females are generaly bigger). Egg layers will not have a gonopodium.

I was so freaked out when my "female" Molly was actually a boy. It was like overnight! Her anal fins were a bit pointier than usual females though too..

Back
Top Bottom