Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unexpected babies (mollie/platy)

Silver Mollie gave birth unexpectedly today… I have about a 14-17 babies in the 10G tank with her and her Platy roommate. She is currently expelling the still births, and what I can only imagine is some sort of fish-afterbirth (its thick and black). Should I move the babies, if so, when? So far Mom & Dad do not seem to be interested in eating the babies.
Do I feed the babies the same food?
Please help. Any and all advice is welcome. I really want to keep these babies alive.
Thanks!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

you should tried to move the fries when the mom stop giving birth and when she look skinny. try to move them because eventually all mollies will be eating them. what are you feed the adult mollies, flakes. if so, just crush them up to a fine powder and you will be fine.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishhelp View Post
Silver Mollie gave birth unexpectedly today… I have about a 14-17 babies in the 10G tank with her and her Platy roommate. She is currently expelling the still births, and what I can only imagine is some sort of fish-afterbirth (its thick and black). Should I move the babies, if so, when? So far Mom & Dad do not seem to be interested in eating the babies.
Do I feed the babies the same food?
Please help. Any and all advice is welcome. I really want to keep these babies alive.
Thanks!
I agree with Khoifish89, but it might be easier for you to move the adults if you have another tank set-up..My platy gave birth last Wed(second batch) to about 40 fry..she was massive. She was in a breeding trap, so after she gave birth i left her in there(trap) for 2 days and then put her back in the 55g. The left the fry in the 10g and they are doing really well...A few died but i was expecting that...PM me if you've any more question and i'll be happy to help if i can..Good Luck..Ian

Tags
babies, mollie, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com