Unexpected spawning - Tigerbarbs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home and to my surprise, my tiger barbs were breeding. In the process really. She was laying eggs and about 3 males were chasing her and doing their best to fertilize the young eggs.

As I was completely un-prepared for this spawning I didn't have a tank and all that setup so. I grabbed one of the larger microsword plants that had a good 40 - 50 eggs on it and quickly transplanted it into my tank with my neon tetras.

The neons mainly eat Betta food Along with the betta. I don't have the time to setup a grow out tank. I want to get them into a tank they have at lest a chance for, I have access to baby brine shrimp from a LFS that sells them at a half doze different sizes.

But here is what tanks I have access to try and raise a few of them in.

50G Planted - 11 ADULT tiger barbs, 5 inch rainbow shark, 6 inch pleco
10G Unplanted - 7 Neon Tetras, 1 Betta, 1 oto
5G Planted - Lightly - 2 Dwarf puffers, 1 oto.

I can get a breeding net of anyone thinks that would work, budgets not a problem. But I would really like to try and raise a few of the fry. I've done my homework and know what to feed and all that stuff, I planned to do this in a month or so after I've moved them to the 75G tank and be able to use the 50 as a grow out... dang horny fish.

On a good note, I got some pictures of her dropping the eggs I'll get them up as soon as I can find my cable for my camera.

The key to spawning fish and raising any fry is in preperation before hand. It's difficult at best to raise fry in a tank containing other fish. Fortunately, a 10g tank and a few basic accessories are all that's needed to breed a fish like tiger barbs.

I just wish I had a little more warning.

For now the neons tend to be leaving the leggs alone. I guess we'll see what happens.

HAPPY!!

Back
Top Bottom