Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unexpected Surprise, what to do?

Hello all,

Novice here. I have a 29G tank that had 3 red wag platys. Today one of them died . Now all that is left is a male and female. I took out one of the artificial plants for cleaning and after putting it back, I noticed a tiny little fry. By now I've noticed a total of 3.

I wasn't really expecting babies, but now I do realize the female does seem bloated. I'd much like to have as many survive as possible.

Yesterday before I found this out, I got 3 yellow guppies (all male) from LFS and put them in my 5G observation tank. My plan was to move them to the 29G display tank at the end of this week. Now that I've seen the Frys, I'm not so sure.
I'm nervous about water changes and siphoning out the Frys. Right now I'm just grinding the fish food small in hopes they will find it.

Do I keep the setup as it is now and make the guppies have an extended stay until the Frys are more mature?
Do I move mommy only plus whatever Frys I can to the 5G and move in the guppies to this display?

I've included pictures of the two tanks. My OBS tank is pretty bare except for the rock.

5gallon observation tank:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8803.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	172236

29 gallon display tank (kids picked decorations):
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8813.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	172237

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com