unplanned pregnant molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trose2176

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a bit of an issue at the moment. I had three yellow mollies that I’ve had since they were tiny babies(fry I think they’re called?). Well I was uninformed on how to tell the gender of them, and pretty much took too long to figure out who was male and female. Well I ended up finding out, when the female one ended up pregnant. It’s been ten days since I’ve seen them mate with one another, but I was wondering how much longer is it going to be for her to pop out some babies?

And yes, I know I should’ve separated them. But I don’t have a separate aquarium for her and by the time I’d get one, it would be too late.

Attachments

• 6C69CBEF-FBE7-40A8-8CF2-1DC4ED105BF6.jpg
    6C69CBEF-FBE7-40A8-8CF2-1DC4ED105BF6.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 51
  • 5720A500-AD9A-4183-BBA0-77A751A360D4.jpg
    5720A500-AD9A-4183-BBA0-77A751A360D4.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 49
If you are planning on keeping the fry make sure that they have lots of hiding spots or else the adults will eat them. Aquarium moss or lots of plants work.
It takes around 30 days from the start of a pregnancy to finish. Keep in mind that they will get pregnant every month with a male around.

I actually don’t plan on keeping the fry, I’m surprised that three of the babies from before even survived. After she finishes with her pregnancy, I’m hoping to get rid of her to someone so I don’t have to deal with this again

No, it’s her and her two brothers. If it was just one of them, then I would get rid of the male. But since I’ve got two of them, I figured it would be best to get rid of the female

How big is your tank? Males will get stressed and territorial without females around. And a single female with multiple males will be stressed to death by them constantly trying to mate.
You can get rid of one of the males and get another female. Then just give away any surviving fry you can't keep.
Or get rid of both males and get 2 more females and do an all female tank.

Back
Top Bottom