Unsure if my female mickey mouse platy is fat or pregnant, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiastbeginner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my female Mickey mouse platy for awhile now and I can't tell if she's fat or pregnant, when I bought her she was big and has always been a bigger girl but now I've become interested in keeping some of her fry if she is pregnant. She.s in a large tank along with other platy.s, balloon mollies and a verity of other community fish. I hav a few pictures that aren't very good but please help if you can, I have no idea what im doing

ForumRunner_20130106_132357.jpg

ForumRunner_20130106_132346.jpg

ForumRunner_20130106_132329.jpg

ForumRunner_20130106_132310.jpg

I just bought a breeding box but it doesn't work with my tank, have a good suggestion on one? And what I've found is 4 weeks is usually the length

No :( I just put her in there about 5 mins ago
Sorry, i thought it was yesterday, time difference and all that!!!. She looks massive, i had one like that recently. She had over 50 fry(i gave them to a mate)..I would say she'll have them any night now..Have you got a plan in place, is the breeder box in the main tank or have you got a seperate tank for the fry??

She is massive lol bigger then most of my balloon mollies even... and I don't have a plan really, all I have is a breeder box (marina Hang on breeding box) and food for the little ones when they come. Anything else u suggest doing? im pretty excited this is my first time attempting to keep fry.

No I do not, I hav a 10 and 25 gallon laying around somewhere I could set up tho...
Probably too late for this set of fry, but would be good for future fry if you plan to breed some more..Although if you could quickly cycle either tank, it would be better. If you can't, i'd get a breeder net for the fry to grow in until their big enough to survive in the main tank...Ian

How long can they stay in the breeder box?
Sorry just to clarify, when i said it was too late for this fry, i meant, too late to put them into your spare tank!!. They should stay in the breeder net until they are big enough not to fit into any of your other fishes mouths!!. Obviously it depends on your other stock, but it's usually about a month. You'll know yourself when you see them.. They'll be fine in the trap until you pick up a net. When you do put them in the net, try and put them in the path of the return flow from the filter. It'll keep the water fresh..
When you do release them into the main tank, it might be worth putting some tights over the filter pipe to prevent them getting sucked up..Also don't get too worried if you lose some, unfortunately it's natural...Judgeing by her size, you will have loads, probably between 30-50!!.. And more next month, and more the month after that, and even more the month after that!!!!.......

That's awesome news I've had her for about a year now and this is the first patch im trying to save. I have her in the breeder box right now but she just seems really stressed I put a blanket over the top to try to help clam her but idk how well its working... how long can she stay in that breeder box, is there anything to help calm down her down or move things along?

Back
Top Bottom