Update: My Keyhole cichlids have SPAWNED!!!!!!!!(pictures!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

Since I added turf to my filter 2 weeks ago my keyholes have paired off. There was only 1 male and 1 female left, other 3 were returned to the store. Before I added the turf, my female would be stressed and chased around all day long by the male. Now they are finally mates! How can one tell? Well, the female now has her 'keyhole' (dark marking on the back portion of the body) showing, while this wasn't the case before. They are always hanging out together, and when they are seperated for only half a minute, they desperatly go looking for eachother and do a little dance to show just how happy they are. By dance I mean they both stick out their gills and shake there body side to side, head to tail.
The male is really a show off. He continuously swims in front of the female, stands at an angle and starts shaking his body, but the female is not responding to that part yet. I also saw him taking a leaf of my small anubias in his mouth, and he bent it all the way to the other side of where it should be. Is this all just showing off?
I am 100% sure that it's male and female. I know how to differentiate them, so it's not two males fighting over territory.
I increased the amount of frozen foods I give them (not more food, just instead of flakes), and raised the temperature to 79°F from 76°F.
They have plenty of slate and wood to spawn on.

Sorry for the long rattle, I just love to talk about them. Is there anything else I can do? Do I have to worry about the tankmates? Female betta is being left alone, but they aren't tolerant of the 2 CAE in there, they chase them away if they get too close.

TIA!

You may want to give them their own 10 gal. When they spawn, they will be a bit more aggressive and the other fish will want to snack on the eggs.

I would rather move the other 3 inhabitants then to move them. They have already selected a rock to spawn on, they are constantly cleaning that rock and defending it. But the trouble will be to catch the CAE. I think I will set up a trap for them instead of netting them. I think that in my 30 gal the fry will have a better chance of survival, since it's an established tank. I'll keep you guys updated when they eventually will lay their eggs.

Moving the keyholes or their tankmates is a good idea. Don't worry about where they've chosen to spawn. You can take every bit of decor out of the tank to catch the other fish without breaking the spawning instinct. When you replace it, it'll be quickly forgotten and they'll go about their business. :wink:

I believe what you say Brian, but I don't want to remove my decorations, simply because I want 0 stress on my keyhole cichlids :wink: Out of principle :p But I'll get them two CAE with a nice trap.....being an aquarist requires some inventivity..... :D

Let's say I would move the female betta as well, do you suspect any problems with the 2 honey gouramis she will be joining? Or can I leave her in? I don't think she will be aggresive, she's very nice, well tempered. She does get chased away by my keyholes now, but only if she comes too close. And she's smart enough not to get beat up by them.

Well Thomas, being cichlids the stress will be more on you then them. LOL

Here's what I mean. I have 3 tanks with communal discus. When I see the signs of spawning, I net the pair and merely drop them in a spawning tank. The pH and temp are the same. I then lower the temp a few degrees and I'll usually have the spawn within a few hours (sometimes minutes). Very often a drop in temp is their signal to spawn. :wink:

Okey, I'll try to net my CAE without moving decorations, and if that doesn't work I'll remove the driftwood (they hide under there). Thanks for the advice Brian, I appreciate it.

Woooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

My little babies have babies! Beautifull!!!! I went away from them about 2 hours ago, and I noticed they're reproductive organs were showing. When I entered the room an hour ago, the female was laying eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right in the center in the front of the tank!!!! On a big white rock! I lowered the temp to 24°C earlier today after it had been at 26 for a few days, following your advice Brian!!!! Thanks so much.

This is special for me, these were my first fish, I bought them as babies, and now they're producing babies of their own
:bawl: :bawl: :key: :key: :bawl: :bawl:

I luv them :kiss:

Pictures will follow in a few minutes, have to resize them

Okey here they are!
I know it is likely that they will eat them since they are inexperienced, but if so, I'm sure they'll reproduce soon enough.

Attachments

• eggs_1.jpg
    eggs_1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 142
  • eggs_2.jpg
    eggs_2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 220
  • eggs_3.jpg
    eggs_3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 254
Thanks guys, the female is hovering over her eggs and constantly looking around. When a CAE even get's close (I was going to get the CAE out tommorow, guess I'm too late), she spurts off to chase it away, and the male takes her place above the eggs! Wonderfull...... :wink:
Although the male does seem a bit lost, not knowing what to do yet. Only when the female leaves the eggs he knows what his job is. Other then that he just comes up to the glass to say hi (or to chase me away maybe :wink: )

Looks like they will be great parents. I've been observing them for the last hour (while I should be studying my last exam.....but it's a very easy one, I'll do fine) and I am very impressed at how well they handle the situation. It's amazing to see the natural instincts come to work in a glass box in your room. And the parental behaviour on this type of cichlid is great (so I've read). The young will be cared for up to 6 months after they are born. (I'm working on an article on the Keyhole cichlid for he FW fish profile section, I have a weeks vacation next week, so maybe I'll find some time to finish it).

I'm fearfull of the night though. I'm not sure if they will be able to protect them all that well in dark. I'll leave my curtains open so that they have some moonlight and they can see the CAE when they come too close.
As for feeding my keyhole cichlids. I'm not too sure, I have 3 options:
-Flake food: not messy, but will force them to come to the surface and leave the eggs behind.
-Plankton+spirulina tab: Can be dropped right next to the eggs, but messy.
-Frozen Bloodworms

Which is best? any advice?

Thomas, just a couple of thoughts here. It isn't uncommon for the first few cichlid spawns to be infertile. It sometimes takes both parents a few tries to get it right.

Your fish can go quite sometime without food, and food isn't their driving instinct now. Don't feed until the eggs hatch. As far the lights go, sometimes going from light to pitch black will startle the fish enough to eat the eggs. If you can't gradually dim the lighting, try leaving it on over night.

I am aware that it is very possible that they aren't fertilized or they don't have enough experience to get the eggs to hatch, I won't be dissapointed if they eat them. At least now I am SURE I have a couple :D And I'm sure that eventually I will be able to get some fry and enjoy watching them grow :wink: (btw, I can't forget about my white cloud fry, they're about half a cm now. Not sure how many there are, but most I counted was 6 a couple of days ago. They're in a 3.5g tank)

I would leave the lights on over night, but wouldn't they go crazy since they aren't used to it? If you think it's okey to leave it on and it won't harm them, then I will. If it might be bad for them, then I'll leave a small lamp burning next to the tank.

Well I have two pair of discus that I leave the lights on for. They won't eat the eggs when the lights are on, and it doesn't bother them.

I'm going to try and dim the lights. My plants won't like the fact that the lights are on for that long. I'll let the room lights on, turn of tank light (wait till timer does it), switch to smaller light in the room, and then darkness.
It may be risky, but I have a feeling that it should be okey.

Thanks for the advice Brian, I appreciate it very much.

Back
Top Bottom