URGENT: Guppy going into labor?!?!?! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys!

So I bought this female guppy on December 23, 2016. She has only been in my tank for 18 days. I got her at PetSmart, and the females were separated from the males yet she still had a decently dark gravid spot. She is not very big in size.

All throughout today she has just been hanging around the back of the filter and the heater, breathing very heavily and violently shaking. Is she going into labor and should I be expecting fry soon? If so, how soon? I will do my best to attach some pictures of her, but it is very difficult because of my poor camera and her in a tough location. She is the orange spotted tail guppy. I want to be ready for the fry because I want to raise them.

IMG_7121.jpg

IMG_7122.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

In my experience the female starts secluding herself from the rest of the fish and hanging by the heater about a week before birth. Try catching her when she is very close or if a baby is spotted in the tank so you can separate her and the other guppies to avoid the fry from being eaten. If you have any more questions about breeding guppies I'd be glad to help. Good luck

Ps. Your guppies are beautiful. :)

Back
Top Bottom