Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

want to have 1st breeding

so i heard that guppy is the easiest way to breed, if i want to breed guppy, what should be done firstly? and how do i know if the guppies i am going to buy is female or male in LFS?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=1100

Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Males are smaller than females, they typically have longer more colorfull finnage. Males will have a stick-like anal fin where as females will have a rounded one.

Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
With guppies, you don't need much anything to breed them other than a male and female, lol. Just be prepared for lots and lots of guppies, lol.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, a cycled tank and plenty of hiding spots for the fry and you'll be good to go.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
If you really want to breed something real cool, and might even be able to sell the babies back to the lfs, is Bolivian Rams. Once they start spawning, they spawn every 3-5 weeks. And I'm sure your lfs would be able to get you a pair, so you'll be set. Then you'll just need to keep the water quality up, and a place for the parents to raise the fry. They prefer placing the eggs on a flat surface like a smooth rock, then when wigglers, they will dig a pit to place them in. I'm currently setting up my 29G to be a breeder tank for my Bolivians.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok thank you, i also want if you can confirm the following picture is correct
i heard female guppies arent colorful like male, and male have very attractive colors, have a look please

is this true?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is correct and they are fancy guppies. Breeding is just as easy with them. For every 10 gallon, I would say no more two males. Females, 3:1 or higher ration. Just make sure you are ready to deal with the babies. I had both fancy and feeder guppies and both orerrran my 10 gallon tank in less than 2 month with more than 150 babies. And that was without anything for them to hide in. My swords breed fast enough. I have 13 babies now from 1 female and she wasn't mated in my tank. That is in 8 weeks.

Tags
breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com