Want to make a new strain of fancy guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its easier 2 breed from fancies anyways... from wild you have 2 find not only the best colors, but also the nest tails/finnage and breed for it...

That's true, but I'm not worried about it. That's why I went for mixed fancy guppies for what I ordered. Hopefully it will give me a good variety of colors when I breed them.

I picked out my favorite 5 males and favorite 6 females out of the dozen pairs I got.. Now to just choose between the ones that I want to keep.

maleguppies.jpg

maleguppiesbreeding.jpg

femalesbreeding1.jpg

guppyfemales2.jpg

It will prob be like 6 months before you can do any breeding... ull have 2 let the females "drop out" pr use all their stored sperm, before you can do your own crosses.

Yeah that's what I'm sad about but it gives me enough time to get everything set up for it

True... i just sorted the gups and did a 100% wc in the 10g and put my lil boys in there, leaving the 20g for the girls and platys, and put my fry that are big enough 2 go in the adult tank in the 1g as some have fungal issues that need 2 be cleared up, which leaves 4 small fry, including my 1 newborn, in the breeder box in the 20g... i have 7 adult males, a few juvies, and 20-25 females... decent numbers, but thats before culling...

Wow, where do you get such beautiful fish?

I asked the guy that runs my LFS to look into getting me some guppies, he was doing an order from a wholesaler and I had him get me 12 pairs of guppies. This is what I got from it. Only cost me $3 per pair as well so it was a good price imho

Well I hope you continue updating this with your progress, I'm excited to follow your trials and tribulations

Yep, it looks like this has turned into a journal for both me and Oscarchii so I'm sure we both will be posting here :)

Ok... some pics of the upturned head defect that im getting and a normal female 2 compare

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130420_025354.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130420_025354.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20130420_025406.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130420_025406.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 110
I just redid the boys' tank... they are still in with the cray 2, and the snails

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130427_233540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130427_233540.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom