Want to try breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fenwaybarks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have empty 10 gallon and 5 gallon tanks that i would like to use for a breeding setup. However, i be never breed fish before and dont really know what fish would work in a 10 gallon setup. Any ideas or tips on breeding and on which fish are easy for beginners would be appreciated!

Any live bearers are nice and easy to start with and I would say guppies would be best in a 10 especially pure endlers guppies if you find them because I personally think they look better, they are smaller and they are rarer so you will sell them much easier :)

Swordtails are pretty try 5 females and 2msles in a 10g or 1m2fm and the same of 3 guppies

Thanks guys for the advice! But ohh! I could try and breed two different types of fish in the same tank?

Loading... said:
Swordtails are pretty try 5 females and 2msles in a 10g or 1m2fm and the same of 3 guppies

I would not breed swordtails in a 10g. Or a 5g. Only a 15-20g especially with that many...

Fenwaybarks said:
Whys that? Would they not breed in a tank that small?

They're just too big to fit in that tank. Maybe for a couple or few days but if they stress they may not breed

And they prefer slightly brackish water, if it was me I would stick with some kind of guppies but just my opinion.

+1 on guppies. You'll have so many fry in no time! Plus there are a lot of guppy breeders on this site to help you out throughout your process if you're interested in picking this fish.

Have fun!

If you want to breed good guppies, you need one decently sized tank, or two slightly smaller tanks, or four small tanks. If you go with one tank(volume of 40 gallons or more), divide into three tanks. One fry tank, one birthing tank, and one adult tank. Preferably you would separate the sexes of fry with a fourth tank. If you go with two tanks, divide each tank into two, as described above. If you get four small tanks, just use them as described above. Carefully select a good strain of guppies. The strain should be known for good color, pattern(if there is one), large bodies, and large finnage. They should also breed true. Find a breeder of your strain and buy a trio. Place the trio in your breeding tank. When the females are ready to drop, transfer to the breeding tank. Once they drop, remove the female and let the fry grow a little so they aren't ripped apart by older fry(personal experience here). Then sex them and place in either the single growout tank or the tank they should be in according to their sex. Note that some 'females' will turn male. Once the fry are old enough not to be eaten, get rid of most except for a select few and place those one or two in the breeding tank.

a good and easy fish to breed is the gadinia killifish. very colorful, and although some people think they are live bearers, there not, all you have to do as far as promoting breed ing is get half a dozen along with a bunch of java moss and the fish will swim through the java moss drop eggs and the male fertilizes them,when i bred them to sell i use to periododicly take some of the java mossout of the tank and put it into another tank, and watch till you see little babies swimming around you can just leave the moss in the breeding tank and most of the babies will suvive, these fish are jumpers so you will need a good cover, the java moss will grow with any decent lighting, not picky

Back
Top Bottom