Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Warning signs of pregnant guppies and platys?!

So I want to my LFS and bought one male and one female guppy. I was planning on them breeding and I'm just so eager for it to happen already! I also have 1 male and 2 female orange platys.

Is there any warning sign that you can tell if their prego before their stomach starts getting bigger ?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior13 View Post
So I want to my LFS and bought one male and one female guppy. I was planning on them breeding and I'm just so eager for it to happen already! I also have 1 male and 2 female orange platys.

Is there any warning sign that you can tell if their prego before their stomach starts getting bigger ?
There is one big warning sign....If she's a female guppy, then she's pregnant. They're pregnant for most of they're lifes!!!. They are the rabbits of the fish world...
I would up your male/female ratio to 3f to every 1male, otherwise he'll harass her the whole time...Ian

Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, that's what I heard on some other threads I've seen. And that's what I had to do with my platys, I had to get two females so that my one male would leave the other one alone somewhat. I plan on getting another female guppy once the one I already have spawns.

Do you know how many days it takes for a female to give birth? Once she's prego?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior13 View Post
Yeah, that's what I heard on some other threads I've seen. And that's what I had to do with my platys, I had to get two females so that my one male would leave the other one alone somewhat. I plan on getting another female guppy once the one I already have spawns.

Do you know how many days it takes for a female to give birth? Once she's prego?
I wouldn't wait to add more females. A male guppy can literally harass a single female to death. The main reason for the 3 to 1 ratio is spread the males attention over the three. I even up'd the ratio to 4 to 1 in our guppy factory. I honestly think the 3/1 is a bare minimum.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I won't be able to make it to the lfs until atleast Thursday and at latest Sunday so ill make sure to get 2 more females then. If I get two more females though, wouldn't he just get all 3 pregnant? I don't have a lot of space for more stock in my tank as it. I have 24 fry in my nursery that ill have to do something with since they won't fit in my 26 gal.

I'm thinking of starting up a 26-30 gal planted tank so I can have more stock.

Tags
guppie, guppies, platy, platys, pregnant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com