Watch "Pregnant red flamingo guppy" on YouTube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhimrulez

Aquarium Advice Regular
When should I put my red guppy to breeder box https://youtu.be/ud9FSxQ79VA . I daily go out for work 10 to 6 and when i am not there i don't want the guppy to give birth and fry being eaten...pls suggest to me when would be the best time to put it in breeder box.

Last edited by a moderator:
No money back guarantee on this advice because it can vary for sure. The bottom of their belly will tend to go from rounded to noticeably flattened off. That coupled with getting really wide means she will likely drop within a few days. I use a separate heavily planted 5.5G aquarium rather than a breeder box which seems to stress them out IMO. So it's no big deal if I move her to maternity ward a week early.

No money back guarantee on this advice because it can vary for sure. The bottom of their belly will tend to go from rounded to noticeably flattened off. That coupled with getting really wide means she will likely drop within a few days. I use a separate heavily planted 5.5G aquarium rather than a breeder box which seems to stress them out IMO. So it's no big deal if I move her to maternity ward a week early.
Oh i dont have a separate tank.But I have 1.8 gallon fish bowl and a spare air pump.Do u think if I leave my pregnant guppy in that bowl with some lushy grass then it will be good?

You could also get some plastic mesh, big enough for fries but not for mother. And try and rig something in the fish bowl, or you could section off part of your main tank. Depends on what you have in your main tank though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh i dont have a separate tank.But I have 1.8 gallon fish bowl and a spare air pump.Do u think if I leave my pregnant guppy in that bowl with some lushy grass then it will be good?

That's fine if the water temp is reasonably warm in your small container. As long as there is cover for the fry you won't lose too many. If she drops them in a community tank without thick cover is when you will lose most of the fry. Keep mamma fed until she gives birth. She'll be far less inclined to eat a bunch of them. A cheap floating live plant is good. The fry will usually drop to the bottom for awhile, then many will head to the surface after they get their sea legs. That's when they get picked off.

That's fine if the water temp is reasonably warm in your small container. As long as there is cover for the fry you won't lose too many. If she drops them in a community tank without thick cover is when you will lose most of the fry. Keep mamma fed until she gives birth. She'll be far less inclined to eat a bunch of them. A cheap floating live plant is good. The fry will usually drop to the bottom for awhile, then many will head to the surface after they get their sea legs. That's when they get picked off.
Hey,
I bought some grass from a aquarium shop and IDK which grass it is. I have put it in the fish bowl. Do you think I can place my pregnant guppy in this fish bowl and when the guppy gives birth will all the fries be safe?1491332074147.jpg

You could also get some plastic mesh, big enough for fries but not for mother. And try and rig something in the fish bowl, or you could section off part of your main tank. Depends on what you have in your main tank though

Check out my above pic. I bought some grass and put it in fish bowl. I dont know what type of grass it is. Do you think I can place my pregnant guppy in this bowl?

Looks a little too dense but sure that could work. Have to give her a little room to swim. There is no 100% safety unless you maintain a physical barrier between momma and her fry. She won't munch them all as she delivers. But after a short recovery it gets dangerous. Keep her well fed of course.

Check out my above pic. I bought some grass and put it in fish bowl. I dont know what type of grass it is. Do you think I can place my pregnant guppy in this bowl?

Doesn't look bad to me. It may be better if the grass wasn't floating, in my experience fry that are new born tend to stay low. But I don't see any problems with that at all.

Looks a little too dense but sure that could work. Have to give her a little room to swim. There is no 100% safety unless you maintain a physical barrier between momma and her fry. She won't munch them all as she delivers. But after a short recovery it gets dangerous. Keep her well fed of course.
Daily morning 9am to 8pm I will be out of my house for work and i am scared by the time i return back all the fries might get eaten by the mama. Do think I should keep her in this hatchery box and try to make the fries safe?

That will work in the main tank. You could use the bowl for a fry tank but I would add an air stone and a small air pump.

That will work in the main tank. You could use the bowl for a fry tank but I would add an air stone and a small air pump.
Thx for the reply again. Ok if finally I am breeding in my guppy in the bowl then I have an additional air pump with air stone which I can use to supply oxygen inside the bowl.

No problem. Yes you can use a separate air pump or use a Tee fitting if you use a pump on the main tank. It's easy for water to get stagnant in a fish bowl. Get a spare water jug and keep some water aging all the time for your next water change. A bit of a hassle but it's best if you feed newborn fry a small amount fairly often and they will grow faster. Best case they would stay in heated water where they will grow faster but they'll make it. Guppy fry are pretty tough after they are a few days old. After about a month most of them would survive if you put them back in the main tank provided there are weeds to hide in so they won't be harassed 24-7. You can also keep your bowl near a window where it will catch some light and get a bit of green. Guppy fry will grow nicely in a tank with algae. They will feed on it all day long. Lots of options. If you feed them flake food grind it up until it is dust. They can't eat anything much larger for awhile.

No problem. Yes you can use a separate air pump or use a Tee fitting if you use a pump on the main tank. It's easy for water to get stagnant in a fish bowl. Get a spare water jug and keep some water aging all the time for your next water change. A bit of a hassle but it's best if you feed newborn fry a small amount fairly often and they will grow faster. Best case they would stay in heated water where they will grow faster but they'll make it. Guppy fry are pretty tough after they are a few days old. After about a month most of them would survive if you put them back in the main tank provided there are weeds to hide in so they won't be harassed 24-7. You can also keep your bowl near a window where it will catch some light and get a bit of green. Guppy fry will grow nicely in a tank with algae. They will feed on it all day long. Lots of options. If you feed them flake food grind it up until it is dust. They can't eat anything much larger for awhile.
I do have flakes and yes I will grind it well and feed the once they are born in my fish bowl. Thanks for all the advice given till now, but I might need some more advices so please please keep it touch.

I do have flakes and yes I will grind it well and feed the once they are born in my fish bowl. Thanks for all the advice given till now, but I might need some more advices so please please keep it touch.

PM me if you would like my email. I have raised guppies on and off since the 1970s. Only recently getting back into it. I can share some info sources with you.

Keep in mind I am not telling you the BEST way to raise guppy fry in this thread. I am telling you how to do it without spending $100 right now. If you enjoy this, you'll want to work towards a better setup. I currently raise guppy fry in a 5.5G tank, with heater, filtration, a few live plants etc. A goldfish bowl is never ideal, but it's workable for a temporary situation if you do the work of keeping the water clean. Guppies can put up with some abuse, but there is a difference between thriving vs just surviving.

PM me if you would like my email. I have raised guppies on and off since the 1970s. Only recently getting back into it. I can share some info sources with you.

Keep in mind I am not telling you the BEST way to raise guppy fry in this thread. I am telling you how to do it without spending $100 right now. If you enjoy this, you'll want to work towards a better setup. I currently raise guppy fry in a 5.5G tank, with heater, filtration, a few live plants etc. A goldfish bowl is never ideal, but it's workable for a temporary situation if you do the work of keeping the water clean. Guppies can put up with some abuse, but there is a difference between thriving vs just surviving.
Ok. But I don't have a lot of space in my house since I am living in a rented house. May be I will try to buy any second end tank for cheap price from OLX or Quikr. I miggt need some further assistance from you so please provide me your Email Id.

Thanks.

Ok. But I don't have a lot of space in my house since I am living in a rented house. May be I will try to buy any second end tank for cheap price from OLX or Quikr. I miggt need some further assistance from you so please provide me your Email Id.

Thanks.

I don't know where you live but $15 USD will buy a new tank from 2-5 gallon. $30 USD will by a small combo with a filter and light and a few accessories. Heater will usually be extra. A small 25-50W heater is sufficient. A cheap heater is usually better than nothing. If you live in a warm climate heater is optional.

I am from India and yes I live in a warm climate. In 10$ I can get a 2l*2h*1b tank but the problem is with the space. Either I need keep the new tank on my desktop table or on the floor ;(

I am from India and yes I live in a warm climate. In 10$ I can get a 2l*2h*1b tank but the problem is with the space. Either I need keep the new tank on my desktop table or on the floor ;(

Then you will have to work with what you have. The bowl with an air stone will be fine in a warm climate. Later this year you will have many guppies and will have to try to get your friends to take a few. :) Keep the very best ones for your breeding stock. You can't keep them all unless you have a lot of tanks.

Back
Top Bottom