We got eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We think they are angel eggs. Two of our angels are really guarding them. We turned the filter against the glass to make them impossible to eat.

Totally unexpected.

Attachments

• eggs_1_172.jpg
    eggs_1_172.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 92
sweet!!! how did they act before the spawning? also don't they need to be face out when they turn into "wigglers"?

congrats! As JChillin said, a good indication of whose they are is who is guarding them.

wow! That is really neat :D Keep us updated. Once they hatch you might want to cover your filter with pantyhose to keep the little wigglers from being sucked in.

Well, some very sad news. Woke up this morning to find them all GONE!! We observed the parents eating a few of them last night but thought that if we turned the filter around, they couldn't get at them but one of our other smaller fish must have. What was interesting was the we have three angels and the third one was all the way on the other side of the tank instead of with the other two like normal (they are like the three amigos) but when it did get close, it would get chased away. The two angels would also chase away the Tiger Barbs if they got too close so we just figured they were the parents guarding, and pecking at the eggs from time to time. Oh well, any suggestions on what to do if we get eggs like that again? Couldn't take the eggs off the filter, is there something we could have done to enclose the eggs by themselves and not disturb them?

A stressed pair of angels will eat their eggs. All the warding off of their other community neighbors no doubt stressed them greatly. If you want to save the next batch, remove the eggs to their own tank. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! Will it hurt the eggs if we just take them off the filter tube? Or is there some other way to hopefully get our angels to lay their eggs on something else easily removable?

hmmmm... well now that they've started spawning you don't need to worry about a lack of eggs. They will spawn again in a few weeks so if you lose this batch it won't be so bad. However, if you see them picking at it again, you might want to eitherblock it with tall plants or remove it so they must find another place to spawn. Try the plant anubias (my angels LOVED the thick leaves to spawn on) or an angled piece of slate. Good luck!

I wouldn't remove the eggs from whatever they were layed on. I would remove what is holding the eggs so they don't get damaged. You could add a piece of slate for them in hopes they use it. Although, the plant idea is a good one too. Then the plant can be removed. My angels spawned on plants as well as a bubble wand (that was running :roll: ) so I don't think they are to particular. lol

Congrats on the eggs!

Don't be so sure you have a pair just yet, until you see hatched eggs it's possible you could have a lesbian pair. Apparently this isn't as common as you'd think either.
That being said, both parents will guard the eggs and you want them to have access to them, they HAVE to be able to constantly fan the clutch to clean them and keep them well aerated. In turning them away from the parents you did more harm than good.
Angels are VERY good parents once they learn how do things. Tank raised angels have an extremely hard time trying to figure out how to raise a batch of eggs and fry because like more tank raised fish they were removed from their parents care before they were even born. When this happens they don't learn the parental care from their parents. This makes them notorious egg eaters, my first pair ate their batch the first night after laying everytime the lights would go off, sometimes before. After about 4-5 months they learned how to properly raise them. There's debate that fry can actually learn the parental care while they're still in the egg, angels that were removed right after the eggs were laid have shown great difficulty learning to care for eggs or fry and the ones that were left with their parents got it almost on their first try!
If your angels are in a community tank the best thing to do would be to remove and artifically hatch the eggs. What I do is take a large deli container, cut a hole for an airline tubing in the top, silicon the airline hose through the top of the container. Then you can treat the eggs with a fungicide and aerate them while floating the container in a heated tank without the risk of getting fungicide in the established tank (trust me you DON'T want that). Once the eggs hatch you can gradually change the water until it's clear and release the fry once they're free-swimming into an established nursery tank(free of ANY other fish), preferrably a bare bottom tank with sponge filter and heater would be best. You could even use this tank as the incubator tank.
Once the fry have become free swimming you'll want newly hatched brine shrimp to feed them, this is EXTREMELY important. No amount of claims and testimonials will save your fry from those so-called other fry foods out there. You need to hatch brine shrimp, I cannot stress this enough.
It's extremely easy and the newly hatched brine shrimp are very nutricious for newly free swimming fry.
You'll also want to do a 50% water change on the tank at least every 2-3 days, and be very careful not to suck any fry up.
Once the fry are about two weeks old, they're ready to be transferred into a larger tank, preferrably a 20-30 gallon tank. Then they can be fed larger foods like daphnia or crushed flake foods.
After about a month you should transfer them into a larger growout tank, like a 50-70 gallon tank.
Angels are an extremely easy fish to breed, but they require time and space to be properly raised. The fry are pretty hardy too and grow extremely quick for cichlids.

Interesting. I just don't understand how turning the eggs away, making them hard to access by predators, is any different than placing them in a new tank all together. Either way the parents don't have access to them.
Unfortunately we don't have a spare tank, so it would end up being some rubbermaid thing :mrgreen:

Turning the eggs away from the parents may deter them from eating them but it doesn't necessarily protect them from the other tank inhabitants. Also, even if the eggs hatch, there's a good chance they will be eaten the other tank mates.

Thought about starting another thread, but I'll just stick with this one: We have Angel eggs again! Same pair and they are extremely territorial right now. They are also still in the process of laying . . . watching right now. Can't take them out, its on the filter again. We'll just leave them alone and make sure the pleco is well fed with other things. Any other suggestions?

I have angel eggs right now too. They should be hatching in the next day or so. I watched the parents eat an egg or two, but there are still a great many stuck to the filter intake. Good luck with your new batch and post pics when they hatch. Congaradulations

Back
Top Bottom