What a nice surprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got home from work to two nice surprises: one, my cable tv and internet are working, and two, my jewel cichlids have finally laid about 200 eggs on an angled rock near the back of the tank. It's hard to get a shot because it isn't that bright and the glass distorts the focus.

They had been doing their little mating dances and excavating for about two weeks now. As I write this, they are taking turns laying close over the eggs and fanning them with their pectoral fins.

Sorry for the picture quality, but it's not that bright and the tank is deep.

Attachments

• img_3992_112.jpg
    img_3992_112.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 34
This is the first time that I have had jewels spawn. Before them, the only others were convicts (no surprise), and my red-hump geophagus had eggs in her mouth, but they didn't last long.

They sure don't seem to be as good parents as convicts. The female is doing most of the work fanning the eggs. When feeding time comes, she waits, comes up to the surface and grabs a pellet, and then heads back to the eggs. The convicts would take turns, but these are not. The male goes and helps from time to time, but isn't as involved as the male convict.

The eggs are still there, so there was no robbery last night.

So far, the jewels have not been as aggressive as the convicts when breeding. They do keep their area clear of all intruders, but they don't rush out at them. They blow out their cheeks and the other fish swims away. No chase. No biting. This might change when/if the eggs hatch.

*******EDIT*******

Well, the eggs are still there and they are still fanning them. So far, nobody has raided the eggs. Now it's just to hope that they hatch in a day or two.

*********EDIT 2**********
The eggs are no longer on the rock. At first I thought that they had been eaten by either the parents or another fish in the tank. That's not the case. It seems that one of the parents have taken the eggs from the rock and put them inside a small cave. Right now I can't tell how many have survived as they are all jumbled together on the floor of the cave. With luck, in a day, or a couple of days, we may have wigglers.

***********EDIT 3*********
It appears that we now have wigglers. It looks like some of the eggs haven't hatched yet. Perhaps they may not ever. Soon we may have some free-swimming fry :)

Five days and there are free-swimming fry. The fry are a lot smaller than convict fry of the same age. After moving the eggs from the rock to the cave for the fry to develop to wigglers, they have taken over a second cave and have moved all the fry there.

They are attentive parents, but less aggressive against others than convicts. Well, they just don't chase as much. All they do is a little bluff against anyone who comes too close and they all flee. So, no real damage done due to their increased aggression. I definitely prefer having them in the tank and breeding to convicts.

Attachments

• img_3994_902.jpg
    img_3994_902.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 69
Congrats on the fry!! And a beautifull adult as well (y)
I hope some of them make it!

Well, no more fry. They have all been digested by now. What a shame. They were starting to develop this neat black line down the center of their bodies.

The fry haven't been gone longer than two days and the male is already starting to do his little dance for the female. Who knows, maybe they will be more careful the next time.

The problem was that when it came to be time to feed the fish in the tank, both the female and male would rush up with the other fish to try to get food. Well, every once in a while some other fish would cruise by the fry for a quick snack.

Hopefully they will spawn again soon.

They will spawn again, though it may take several times before they learn to raise the fry, instead of eating them. Cichlids will also eat eggs or fry if they're too stressed, or unable to prevent other fish from eating them.

Back
Top Bottom