What Am I Doing Wrong? Fry Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saa5886

Aquarium Advice Freak
It seems like every time my Mollies have fry, the vast majority of them die within the day, and only one ends up surviving. I have a separate fry tank for them that after she gives birth, I immediately move them into. The water is 100% clean brand new distilled water with Prime in it. Could it be that the transition from the community tank into a new tank could be shocking them?

My Molly had her fry night before last, and by last night there was only one survivor left. (That was AFTER I moved them, so no they werent eaten)

Baby fish are very fragile for the first bit of their lives. So moving them very well can be the problem. I know when we move our fry (egg layers) we're always very nervous that something will happen to them. What we do is drain out most of the water in the grow out tank and fill it with water from the main tank so that they are being moved into water they are already accustomed to. This helps limit the shock.

Also make sure you are letting them acclimate like you would when you get new fish. I keep the bags from the LFS when I get new fish. That way if I'm moving older fry I can acclimate them easier.

That actually makes sense. While they are growing in their mommy's belly, they are actually becoming used to the water she is in. I'll definitely allow them to acclimate as well. Thanks!

I have the same problem, but I did nothing to my mollies. My silver Molly gave birth to over 50 fry and now there is only 3. The PH is great and I occasionally add salt. What's going on here? They had plenty of room in their comfy 20 gallon. They died in weeks. Is this normal? Then, after this, I lost two other mollies. Only they are adults. Is there a disease? They ate and I saw no visible problems with them. I am just confused. Coincidence?

Back
Top Bottom