What are some easy freshwater fish to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some platies and 1 chicilid. Should I have a breeding trap or Thing to separate tank for fish? Also what is spawning and how do you get a fish to get it. I love fish and really new to this stuff!

You are wanting to breed the platies?

As long as you have males and females, they will reproduce. Platies do not spawn because they are livebearers. Spawning is where the eggs are released and then the males fertilizes them. Livebearers do it differently.

You will need to separate them because they will most likely all get eaten.

I have 3 female red wag platy 1 female sunset wag platy and 1 male red wag platy . Can I breed different breed and just pick 1 male and 1 female then seprate in isolation?

You can just let them do their thing or separate them to get specific offspring. Just I won't separate them for long because the male will end up stressing out the female.

Thanks a lot!!! I'm very new to fish. You are helping a lot with your awesome advice!!

I'm thinking about breeding it but I will have to get another tank which I'm getting soon 15g because cichlids are aggresive except one I have. That is why I asked about different colors.

Cichlids are aggressive unless with multiple other cichlids. They tend to be less aggressive with more of them.

I have a parrot cichlid a orange one and I bought it from petco or pets art if that makes a difference.

Yea, that is a blood parrot. They get around a foot. They need a 55-75g tank and lots of water changes. They are big, messy fish. A 15g will only keep a juvenile. What size is he currently?

How big is the fish?

Is he still under warranty? Petco has 30 days to return fish. You can try to return him, set up a proper tank, or take him into a local shop.

He is near 2 inches and grew about 1 inch. Warranty ran out 1 day ago :( . Poor fishie but I've been looking on Craigslist and they have nicely priced 50g aquariums. So I might buy one off of there.

Awesome. I would preferably go for a 75g. Allows more space and if you are going to go big, might as well get a good size for him. They are great fish that are actually quite intelligent. They are similar in personality to flowerhorns (I have one and adore him).

How soon less than a month? I look at the flower horn fish they looked pretty nice. Does yours have a bump on its head?

I would try as soon as possible. Within a month or so would be best.

Thank you. No, mine doesn't have the bump (called a kok). I'm pretty sure he is actually a female. Normally, only males will have the bump.

Back
Top Bottom