What are you breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm also breeding platies. Mine are the yellow twinbar variety. Yesterday I posted a photo of my tank and there is a picture of them there. I have three females and one male. All three females are pregnant, but I have put the two most pregnant ones in a breeder box. When I get home from work I am going to take out the less pregnant of the two, that box is too small for two fish. Also under the main tank I have set up a 5.5 gallon to accommodate the fry once it is cycled.

This will be my second time breeding fish, the first time was velvet swordtails when I was about 11 years old. Talk about crazy -- I went away on vacation and while I was gone all my female fry turned male. The only female swordtail I had was their mother! :huh:

They're all very pretty ..... I haven't had the chance to yet, but I want to set up a live bearing tank and breed platies, mollies, and guppies ..... But for the time being I already have a pregnant Mickey Mouse platy and a pregnant creamsicle Molly

My platies are driving me crazy -- now I can't see any black in the gravid spot, it all looks reddish. Yet the female I have left in the breeder is still plump.

At this point, I'm thinking of taking away the breeder box and just letting nature take its course for a while.

Maybe I can get away with one small purchase of fake grass to float on top for the fry? Any suggestions that don't look terribly awful? The stuff I usually see looks like green tufts on a plastic frame and it just looks horrible. One part of me says well who cares what it looks like if it saves the fry, but still -- yuck!

I have seen breeders use Christmas garland.. The green stuff just cut and rolled, maybe attached to piece of foam to float.
This was sent to me by lotsoffish with swordtails I won.

I let live plants float and roll around and have plenty of fry in all my LB tanks.
I prefilter filter intakes if there is more then sponge filter being used around fry.
Swords and platies are ok if fed enough and cover is provided to let fry stay.
I breed both as my Live Bearers [LB].
I breed GBR,EBR,Angels and a couple Apistogramma for egg layers.
You always need more tanks.
4 months till average grow out and 30 day breeding cycle says 4 tanks per fish type?:nono:

I have seen breeders use Christmas garland.. The green stuff just cut and rolled, maybe attached to piece of foam to float.
This was sent to me by lotsoffish with swordtails I won.

I let live plants float and roll around and have plenty of fry in all my LB tanks.
I prefilter filter intakes if there is more then sponge filter being used around fry.
Swords and platies are ok if fed enough and cover is provided to let fry stay.
I breed both as my Live Bearers [LB].
I breed GBR,EBR,Angels and a couple Apistogramma for egg layers.
You always need more tanks.
4 months till average grow out and 30 day breeding cycle says 4 tanks per fish type?:nono:

Wow, Christmas garland!? That's real ingenuity there. :) I just might end up using some of it!

The thing that worries me the most about having free-swimming fry in my tank is my 6 glass catfish. They are voracious carnivores and quickly devour any sort of food-sized items. It is amazing to watch them during feeding time, they eat a pellet, and then double back on themselves to catch a second one, then do quick turn to catch a third, etc. etc. The acrobatics are beautiful, but I can't help but imagine that little platy fry would be toast trying to make that long swim up from the bottom of the 29 gallon.

Perhaps I could solve the problem by temporarily moving the momma platies to the small tank, once it's cycled? Then I could put "fry grass" or Christmas garland in that tank, and there would be no glass cats to eat them.

BTW I saw your tag line "Got Rams" and wonder, what do you think about having a few rams in a community tank with other (non-cichlid) fish? When I was a kid I had two golden rams in my tank and I can't remember how it went. The only thing I remember is they were one of the most beautiful fish I'd ever seen at that point. I also had a very large, bossy angelfish but I don't think they fought.

Nothing will save fry from predators like a nocturnal cat or just a big eater.
Moving momma will be a huge help. Then any live plant floating also offers food to fry. They pick all day.
Rams look great in all tanks ,but IMO they need to be #1.
I see/know a lot of planted keepers with my rams and tetras and such.
But in other situations they are pansies IMO.
I am just a lucky ram breeder ,NOT keeper...
I have EBA in my 180 , they look like bigger rams ....

Unfortunately i came home to all 12 dead along with my precious betta kevin and a ghost shrimp ever since I brought home petsmart guppies my fish have been dying and they have been treated for everything with no success

Back
Top Bottom